REVISION FROM RNY TO LAP BAND

Luci B.
on 10/14/05 3:52 pm - Chicago, IL
I am 2 yrs post gastric bypass surgery and only lost 1/2 the weight predicted. I have even started gaining weight over the past year. I saw another surgeon for 2nd opinion and he suggested lap band at this stage as he said about 25% of patients just don't reach their deisred goal. Has anyone else had both surgeries done (or know of others who had)? If so please offer advice/suggestions... I have always been able to eat more than others and I mentioned this to my initial surgeon who performed the Roux en Y responded that he tried to be very conservative in his approach so that I would not have complications later on. I never had dumping and never threw up. The 2nd surgeon examined the barium test I've done and he said my pouch/stoma is larger than what he normally likes to see. He recommended the lap band. Does anyone know how successful this is given his treatment recommendation following an apprently failed 1st surgery???? Thanks
ScarletteNgray
on 10/15/05 8:48 am - OH
I am 4 years post op for a RNY too. I visited my surgeon this week and he never mentioned checking things out. All he said was I must be eating wrong due to something happening in my life. Maybe I need to get a 2nd opinion like you. He also had the nutritionist come in and talk to me. She basically asked me a bunch of questions and gave me some brochures on how to eat. To go back to eating like I did when I initially had my RNY. Laura
ahollar
on 10/29/05 5:53 am - Rockford, IL
Who is the second surgeon that you are seeing?? I have the same problem. I can eat a lot!! And I am always hungary. I got pregnant right after surgery and my surgeon says my stomach and stoma probably streched. I had questions with him from the very start about the amount of food I could eat. He says he cuts bigger to reduce vit deficiencies. I wish I'd have known that ahead of time as there are three other surgeons in his group. Anyways, I've only lost 100 lbs. I still weigh 230 lbs and Im 19 months out. I haven't lost a pound in 9 mos. In fact I've gained 10. He says he won't consider doing a revision because he is ok with my wt loss and the risks are too high. I'm not ok with my wt loss and am afraid I will gain more back due to hungar. I also NEVER threw up. Keep me updated please!! Angela
maz
on 11/12/05 6:06 pm - Puyallup, WA
Wow i never thought this was possible... i had rny in Jan 2003, i lost a lot of weight realy really fast i went from 750 to 608 to 685 at time of rny surgery to 800+ lbs dues to swelling and complications. i have a hernia in my stomache that sticks up like an anthill when i lie down it doesn't hurt me though just embarrassing. but like you all i can eat it seems like all day nibbling on something, i can't eat as much as i used too but i am eating way more than a cup of food per meal i was told i was allowed to eat. i did ask about the possibilities of having the surgery again and was told no i think by my surgeon. but if there is a possibility that i could have another surgery and hopefully before it becomes necessary and life threatening then i would like to work with someone who can help me retrain my mind and my thoughts, so i can eat better and more wisely. i went down to 465lbs and last time i was weighed was 508lbs on june 20th on my surgeons scales. Then 2 days later at his associates i weighed 537.8lbs i was so disappointed in myself i never went back to see that doctor and am reluctant to make a follow up appointment to go in January which will make it exactly 3 yrs since i had surgery. If there's a way i can prevent my health from reaching death, like it did last time which was why this surgery was performed it was life or death basically, then i want to know what my options are now while i'm still alive. Please keep me informed at what you discover, i think it's time i researched this myself. Thank you for giving me something to possibly consider. Take cAre and good luck Marilyn
Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/23/05 11:01 am - Tuvalu
There are a few people who have been banded over a failed RnY...Walter Lindstrom the WLS attorney is one. I'm going the other way...from LapBand to DS. (The band has damaged my esophagus.) My surgeon does a LOT of RnY to DS conversions. This morning, at the hotel, I had breakfast with two of his RnY-to-DS patients who had surgery last week. If you are interested in more info, visit the Duodenal Switch board...or email me. But, my surgery is next week so I may take a while to answer. Sue
karen K.
on 1/21/06 6:34 am - Lawton, ok
i had a band put on my rny pouch. please feel free to ask me questions. karen
skipper633
on 12/3/06 3:08 pm - villas, nj

I am considering the band over my failed RNY. What kind of results did you have?

Most Active
Recent Topics