Surgical Marking Pen is not going away! Need Advice!

AngelLaura92
on 8/1/10 12:18 am, edited 8/1/10 1:54 am
 During my 1 month visit with my surgeon, I showed him my incision marks. I have a total of 6 scares and 3 of them he must of used some sort of marking pen that can still be seen. It's been 6 weeks since my surgery and they have not gone away.

My surgeon said that with some patients, the ink does not fade away and for it to be removed I would have to go to a Tattoo Laser Removal place.

Has this happened to any of you? If so, did you remove it with the tattoo laser removal? If you have not had laser removal, did you marks stay permanently or did they fade after a few months. How was the laser removal? Feeling? Cost? 

I'm really worried because they are very noticeable. Please give me some advice. 

View Picture of my 3 scares with Pen markings: 
Photobucket
WildHeart101
on 8/1/10 12:36 am - Lexington, KY

That sounds crazy!  The pens the hospital I work at comes right off.  One of my jobs is to bath patients and it comes right off with the first washing.....

Sounds like that hospital needs to use a different kind of marking pen.....

Cindy    *number on ticker includes 14.5 lbs lost prior to surgery                                                                                

Dave Chambers
on 8/1/10 12:40 am - Mira Loma, CA
Check your surgeon's link. There appear to be a number of OH people there. Why not PM a few of those members?  I've never hears of surgical pen markings not being removeable.  Have you tried to remove it yourself with things like nail polish remover? Or Goof Off or a similar product.  Maybe your surgeon was joking with you?  At any rate, he should have given you some guidance in removal, besides mentioning laser removal.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

hedrider
on 8/1/10 12:41 am - Midlothian, TX
I've never heard that and I work in an OR.  What have you used to try to remove it?
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Carebearny1999
on 8/1/10 1:11 am - Rochester, NY
I've never heard of that as well! When I had my knee surgery I had to mark my own leg and the marks I made (Silly me already half-doped on meds made a smiley face) removed instantly with an alcohol prep pad. And I worked in a school too--even sharpie can be removed with alcohol and some elbow grease...
AngelLaura92
on 8/1/10 1:56 am
 I just posted a picture. Tell me what you guys think. Any nurses or doctors on here ever seen this before? 
ronib
on 8/1/10 2:43 am - Grand Junction, CO
I am wondering if the ink did get into the skin.... via surgery. thats basically what a tattoo is, ink under skin. He may be right. Be patient, if it still looks that way in a year then worry about it, but he could be right. Hope it fades:)
In order to change we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired.                        ~Author Unknown

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.  ~Redd Foxx....        OK I know but it did make me laugh...lol

Lily1980
on 10/19/15 2:25 am

Hi, I have the same problem as you had some years ago..pls did it fade? How long did it take? Thanx!

katpark
on 7/6/16 4:05 am

hi angel how did you go? I am worried same thing has happened to me 

babagrlshell
on 8/1/10 10:55 am - Columbus, GA
 My scars looked like that. They faded. It just looks like regular surgical scars. 
Most Active
Recent Topics