3wk ck up...a little discouraged

Korlis
on 4/7/11 11:46 am - CA
Ok so, my first week ck up I had lost 12lbs since the surgery...at my 3wk ck up only 5lbs in two weeks? It was my doc's scale and not my surgeon's, but they can't be too far off can they? I know it's because of the lack of the kind of exercise I feel I need. There's one gym here in the town I live in, but I can't afford the enrollment fee + per month fees, so I'm stuck to just doing what I can at home. I could walk, but does that really burn calories? I feel like I need a vigorous workout regime, one that only a gym could offer, and I believe this is why I'm not losing as much as I could.

Anyone have any great tips for at home exercises? And walking...is that effective enough? I need to do some weight training on target areas: under arms, mid section, and thighs. I'm ALREADY noticing parts of my body softening and gravity is rearing its ugliness lol

Any help is apprciated...hopefully I can afford the gym soon, but I know the first 6mos is the optimal time to lose as much as possible and I'm afraid I'm going to miss this important window of time! help...

ty in advance

Kor
Highest Weight: 421
Surgery Weight: 369
Current Weight: 250
Colleen W.
on 4/7/11 11:54 am
Don't panic, it's normal. And that phrase you will hear often when it comes to slow or no weightloss. LOL

Typically at about 3 weeks most of us go into a stall phase because our body is freaking out at the sudden changes that have taken place. Your body thinks it's being starved and therefore needs to hold onto fat to make it through the famine. Once your body figures out that this is your new normal it will return to a losing phase.

Now that being said, 5lbs in 2 wks is pretty darn good! Average weightloss standard would be 1lb/wk so your doing better than normal. I think often we get so caught up in the effects of the surgery we forget that normal weightloss is really a lot slower than we think it should be.

As for excercise, walking is amazing! Not only are you burning calories but you're toning muscles. And, this early out, walking is total sufficient for you.

Just remember that you've lost 17lbs in less than a month! That's one heck of an accomplishment.
lorilea
on 4/7/11 12:16 pm - MN
Walking outside does wonders for me.  I live in MN so it is nice to finally be outside without freezing and getting some fresh air.  You burn calories differently walking based on your weight.  Use this link to determine how much:
http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/how-many-calories-will-i -burn-if-i-walk-one-mile/.  The more you walk the more you are able to walk and the more calories you burn.  With as little as we eat now, it does make a difference.  Some days I take my sneakers to work and walk outside, I walk a half hour away from my office and then turn around and come back. I don't belong to a gym, probably because I have wasted so much money on gym memberships that I let go to waste so I am waiting until I drop more weight before making a committment.

I also have some small weights at home that i use for toning my arms.  For different excercises for toning I just google the area that I am toning and search for some different exercises.  I also run up and down my stairs.  And I have a small stepper that I use for my legs.

Zumba Fitness.  You can get the DVD set for about $60 and it's fun, I LOVE it.  (I don't think I would let anyone watch, I am not very graceful at it yet)  It really gets your heart rate up and makes you feel like you exercised.  Before you go buy it, you can check out some clips on www.youtube.com to see if it something you like. 

I also have a WII Fit.  I know those are kind of expensive, but if you can still find an older model they are cheaper than the new ones that just came out, you might even be able to find something used on ebay.  And at Gamestop and Best Buy you can get used games for free, but the one that comes with it free are actually pretty good.

As far as the weight loss goes, everyone is different.  And I have heard the the first 6 months is the honeymoon period is when you lose the most weight, I hope that is not the case, because I am a slow loser.

Good luck!

poet_kelly
on 4/7/11 12:23 pm - OH
17 lbs in three weeks?  And you're disappointed?  Sorry you feel bad about it but that's an excellent rate of weight loss.  I agree it would be nice to lose faster than normal, but most of us are just normal, you know?

As far as the gym, is there a YMCA near you?  Most of them offer a reduced rate based on income.  I pay $20 a month at mine just for me.  I think my sister pays something like $25 a month at hers for her whole family, but she also has to do a couple hours of volunteer work there each month.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ANNI D.
on 4/7/11 12:25 pm

I had my RNY on March 11th and I lost about 15 lbs the first 10 days. Then, the scale was stuck at the same weight for a few more days, then it went up 3-4 lbs. I was constipated and as soon as I fixed that issue (if you know what I mean) I weighed myself and I lost the 3 lbs! I thought that was hilarious, I had no idea that, "that", could weigh that much! Anyway, not until 2 days ago did the scale move. 4 lbs, and that's all so far. I have 4 more days until my month mark, and I'm figuring that around 18 lbs in a month is o.k. More than I'v lost in that amount of time before. Evwn when I was not losing my body was changing and my clothes fit much better. I even had to tighten up my bra and my underwear slips down when I walk!!! Good Luck 2 you, you're doing great

I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

Buterfly_12928
on 4/7/11 12:28 pm
I too was worried...two weeks after surgery I lost 15 pounds and nothing since then. I am journaling my food to track my daily protien and i'm getting it in. I am exercising and following rules, just surprised I haven't lost more in the last couple weeks. Is this normal ?
lorilea
on 4/7/11 12:33 pm - MN
Forgot to mention.....you are doing great, don't get discouraged.  I didn't lose weight between 3-6 weeks and then for a couple of weeks I lost between .5-1.5 pounds each day and then I stopped and then it started up again.  It's just the way it works, I guess.  Just make sure you are eating right, getting your protein in and walk, walk, walk.

acbbrown
on 4/7/11 1:39 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I would LOVE to lose 17lbs in a month.... Sounds good to me, keep it up!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Korlis
on 4/7/11 1:48 pm - CA
TY all so much for the words of encouragement! I feel so much better now. I didn't realize how disappointed I'd gotten over 17lbs in 3wks, but you guys are right...that IS awesome weight loss! Thank you for helping me see that. I get caught up in the 'numbers lost' sometimes that I forget that pre-surgery I never would have lost that much in such a short time.

Thank you for setting me straight, I'm so thankful to have found this site...you guys have helped me tons!

Also, thanks for the walking advice. I will definitely do more of it. Funny thing is, when I was at my heaviest walking was like pulling teeth. It was difficult to get to the corner of my street! Now I think walking isn't strenuous enough???!??! lol it MUST be working then if walking has gotten so much easier for me, right? Yay...so nice to have wake up calls from you all!

ty all again...I feel tons better right now :D

Kor
Highest Weight: 421
Surgery Weight: 369
Current Weight: 250
AwesomeForever
on 4/7/11 2:51 pm - Marlborough, MA
I saw something once about that one pound that we do not want to lose. I mean, one pound, I wanted to lose more!
Yes, you want to lose more. You want it to melt off.
It still takes hard work. I went through so many plateaus, I used to say I could have named them.
In the end, I lost more than a teenage football player with his gear on!
I say love the little to get to the big changes.
Also, the scales in different places will not be calibrated the same. Are you clothes slipping?
I used the Leslie Sansone videos on tv. It was free as part of my cable set up. It gave quite a work out. I want to buy the Zumba for my Wii so I can be clutzy at home or is that klutzy?
Linda
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?