Iron question

Bobbie D.
on 5/5/11 11:07 am
Hello,

I had a hysterectomy on Monday and my OB prescribed 325 grams a day of ferrous sulfate for 30 days. I had been taking 90 a day of carbonyl.

Should I also take my carbonyl? Should I just take my carbonyl and not the sulfate? I don't know enough about the iron facts to approach her about my specific iron needs.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Bobbie

ladyquenn
on 5/5/11 11:31 am - WV
This is one I would really want to ask my bariatric doctor. I know that the regular iron (not the chelated) doesn't digest hardly at all. My GYN had me double up on the bariatric iron for a couple of months when I was having a period issue.
Teddi J
We have just enough religion to make us hate,
but not enough to make us love one another. ~Jonathan Swift                    
TamaraL
on 5/5/11 12:15 pm
according to many people we do not absorb ferrous sulfate.  I think it is because of the acid you need in your stomach to absorb it.  I would call your surgeon and speak to the nurse.

vitalady
on 5/5/11 2:47 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
325mg of fe sulfate works out to about 65mg elemental iron that we can't absorb. You'd be going DOWNHILL to switch.

You could take one more of your carbonyl - you're using the 45 mg? That would probably cover your doc's wishes to increase your intake, without confusing them with facts. Most of them don't understand the elemental vs salts thing at all.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/11 9:11 pm
Michelle what is the recommended dosage of Tender Iron?  Seems I heard 6 capsules once.
Ruby

RNY 3/2005
262/125/135
hi/lo/hi
vitalady
on 5/6/11 2:20 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
For an RNY, it would be 6 of the original TABLETS (150mg). If using the caps, whi*****lude C, then 3 = 180.

You'd use 5-6 of the caps if you are a DS or already ran yourself bone dry on iron.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Bobbie D.
on 5/5/11 10:00 pm
Thanks, Michelle. I normally take a 60 mg chewable tab (BA lime) and a 30 raspberry truffle chew daily of BA for my iron.

I don't even know how to approach either Dr as even my Bariatric Dr doesn't seem to give the same advice regarding supplements that I've seen here. He suggests Viactive for calcium and doesn't give any instruction on iron type except "elemental". I take what I've learned is best from this website.

So are you saying that I should take the 325 of the sulfate plus my BA iron?

Thanks again,

Bobbie

vitalady
on 5/6/11 2:19 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I would not take fe sulfate AT ALL, personally.

You're taking 90mg BA total? OK, for us, our rny's start on 150mg elemental. So, I'd rather see 2 BA 60's + the 30, or something like that. There are much more econo ways to get there, but if that's what you like, do that.

Total 150mg elemental iron, and I think theirs has the vit C built in. Not with dairy, caffeine, egg or whole grain, any other vites, minerals or meds. Alone for at least an hour, either side. But you don't have to be empty. Taking with some fruit is safe and a bonus

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

Bobbie D.
on 5/7/11 12:47 am
Thanks, Michelle. I will be making some iron changes pronto :)

Frank_B
on 5/6/11 12:37 am - Woodbridge, NJ
Ok so first off i will say being a guy ai have no experience with OB issues, with that said the conversation on Iron  i can lend an opinion

I use a product called Bifera, it the the only  no prescription Iron that has both Heme and Non Heme iron. this make is easier to absorb and you do not need to take Vitamin C with it.

I have used it and my iron numbers on my labs are great

Just an idea to ask about that product if it is something you can use or not

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 462 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 378 views
Recent Topics