6 days post op have not had a BM in 3 days

carrie1985
on 5/25/11 8:02 am - crestwood, KY
 while I was in the hospital they gave me a supository and I did nothing but go to the bathroom. I know I have not been eating much but I have been home for 3 days now and no BM is this normal?
gochristy1971
on 5/25/11 8:06 am - CA
Do you feel constipated?  I don't know how long is normal to go without a bm, but, I think it largely depends on if you feel you can't go and need to.

If you do feel constipated, milk of magnesia works very quickly.
Christy
Weights: Surgery 317 Current 242 GW ???
melissa22886
on 5/25/11 8:06 am
it's normal that early out because you pretty much have all liquids in you and nothing to pass. i had a bm the morning of surgery, and then nothing for 5 days. my surgeon told me if i didn't have any for about 7-8 days then to call him

carrie1985
on 5/25/11 8:28 am - crestwood, KY
 Thanks alot I am so clueless right now lol
Tessmama_of4
on 5/25/11 8:56 am
It is very normal I did not have one until day 5. Be careful though with all the protein you can become constipated.. Good luck
cgnnala
on 5/25/11 9:07 am
Nothing here until day 6 then all was well. It is scary but it evens out in a bit. No worries.

Referral date: December 9, 2010                   First appointment: January 17, 2011
Approved for surgery: February 23, 2011     Surgery date: March 14, 2011

Onederland: May 9, 2011  
                             Diabetes-GONE, HBP-GONE (no meds since 3/13)
ahmerzrealm
on 5/25/11 9:15 am - Naperville, IL
Did you have a bowel movement while you were at the hospital ? They would not have let me go home unless I did. Like the others mentioned, being constipated is very common... even months after the surgery.

You can use a laxative called Miralax or Milk of Magnesia. I have found both these products to be very effective.

You may also choose (perhaps down the road) to supplement your diet with fiber. You can use Fiber Choice chewables or Benefiber crystals. Do NOT use any other fiber product without checking with your surgeon first.

andywe
on 5/25/11 9:23 am - TN
Just like everyone else has stated, normal. As far as using a laxative, walgreens has a sugar free Milk of Magnesia so try to get that. Beleive it or not regular Milk of Magnesia has sugar!

TNBrad526
on 5/25/11 9:58 am - Mechanicsburg, PA
It is normal and constipation is also normal.  I was given Colace stool softners to help with my BM the first two weeks after surgery.  The pain medication given to you in the hospital can cause constipation.
Work-in-Progress
on 5/25/11 3:43 pm
I think it's normal.. sorry if TMI....
My last BM was on 5/17 thanks to lovely Milk of Magnesia cleansing night before surgery, and didn't have another BM until Monday 6 days later!
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 286 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 256 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 182 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 312 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?