need more protein HELP

fayediddles
on 6/5/11 12:00 am
I know I need more protein, I had surgery 6 months ago and I can not eat 3oz of meat a meal any ideals????? please someone help me out.
TamaraL
on 6/5/11 12:03 am
First, how much are you eating.  My nutrition plan only say 2 oz of meat and vegetables or fruit to equal around 2/3 cup total food at each meal

Are you doing protien supplements??  cottage cheese, greek yogurt??

gbsinsatx
on 6/5/11 12:09 am - San Antonio, TX
 Please look at my profile for ideas.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

armywife05
on 6/5/11 12:12 am
Do you like tuna? There is 18 or 20 grams of protein in those 2 oz. Starkist pouches. I think the low sodium variety has closer to the 20 grams. String cheese, make protein shakes with milk to boost the protein, I wrap 2oz of LF and LS lunchmeat around a 1oz cheese stick for about 20ish grams...depending on the meat. Good luck!
First Goal

poet_kelly
on 6/5/11 12:41 am - OH
Eat something else with protein, not meat.  I don't eat meat at all.  Eat Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes, protein bars, beans.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ahmerzrealm
on 6/5/11 12:49 am - Naperville, IL
I would follow the advice given above. However, if you still find yourself falling short of your protein intake, then dont be afraid to suppplement your diet with protein shakes. I stress the word supplement as you dont want to rely on shakes alone.
Jacobsmama08
on 6/5/11 12:51 am - Morgan Hill, CA
Beef jerky or turkey jerkey has a TON of protein.... smoked salmon?

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

dasie
on 6/5/11 1:07 am
I cooked large pots of pinto beans and submerged chicken, or beef, or pork in the beans while  they cooked.  The meat cooked to pieces and was almost invisible.  My beans are very spicy.  Anyway, I could not eat meat either.  If it was not cooked in beans or soup, I did not even attempt it.  My husband made big pots of vegetable soup.  He would take meat, cut it into pea sized pieces and put it in the soup.  It too practically disappeared during the cooking process.  That was the only way I could eat meat.  Now, to this day, I eat very, very little.  I love that new habit.  I used to hate vegetables and was pretty much just a meat eater.  Now it is the other way around.  I also ate/eat yogurt, chottage cheese and cheese.  I had to eliminate the cheese because I was eating too much.  I now have a handle on the amount of cheese I eat at one time.  I also still drink protein shakes, even now. 

dasie
on 6/5/11 1:09 am
....and nuts.  I ate a lot of shelled sunflower seeds for a while.  I do not eat them anymore unless I put them on a salad.  When I could only eat very small portions, a couple 2 or 3 ounces of sunflower seeds (shelled) were easy to digest and provided another source of protein.

siberiancat
on 6/5/11 3:04 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Eat protein first at EVERY meal and snack.  Then veggies, fruit or whole grain.

I eat very little meat - maybe a couple times a week.  I still have whey isolate protein two times a day, and eat boiled eggs, cottage cheese, cheese, greek yogurt as main protein sources.

I get 100+ gm protein a day - it is like "life saving medicine" - we have to have it.

Omit refined white flour,, white sugar, white rice, pasta - the carbs that make you want more.  Stick with protein, veggies and fruit and whole grain.

I also omit junk food and fast food as they are heavily processed with added salt and sugar and provide to many calories and not much nutrition.   You may choose to add some back in after  you get to your goal weight.

Make wise decisions the first 12-24 months - you only have once chance to go through this "honeymoon" period where we have maximum malabsorption and less appetite.

Best wishes.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 442 views