First Business Lunch since RNY

SelfPay
on 6/13/11 9:58 am
Tomorrow, I have a business lunch with a client and a few others from a Consulting company.  It will be my first business lunch postop.  

For those of you that know the drill of a business lunch, I'm wondering what you might recommend I could order and nibble on?  I'm almost five weeks out and beef jerkey (from Trader Joes) seems to sit well with me as does most of the soft foods. 

Any and all idea's are welcome.  Thanks.
fleetsie
on 6/13/11 10:12 am - Columbia, MD
At 5 weeks I ordered a brothy soup like chicken noodle or vegetable.  I also did a lot of chili. Especially if they had ground turkey chili (though ground beef worked for me too).
HW 247  SW 232  GW 135

Ashley K.
on 6/13/11 10:27 am
Bettisima
on 6/13/11 10:30 am
Don't be afraid to order side dishes to meet your needs. Cottage cheese. Grilled or poached fish. Tuna salad, egg salad. A sandwich, no bread. Even look at appetizers, sometimes there are good items there, depending on the type of restaurant. Soups can be a good choice, eat the meat and veggies, and leave the broth and pasta in the bowl.
Anna M.
on 6/13/11 10:36 am - Manchester, NH
Shrimp ****tail might be a good idea. Tons of protien
lynnc99
on 6/13/11 10:43 am
My "fall back" item for a business meal is a turkey sandwich. Hold the fries or cole slaw or whatever comes with it. Take the sandwich apart and eat just the turkey.

Your companions may think you are a bit of a picky eater, but won't ask.

Shrimp ****tail is also a good idea, as are many soups. For me, some soups fill me up immediately, so I wouldn't make that choice unless I was sure.

If you have tried ground beef, you can also order a burger and again - just take it apart and eat what you can of the meat.

You will (1) realize quickly that others really don't care what you eat in this setting, and (2) get very good at moving food around on your plate.
Rebecca H.
on 6/13/11 10:50 am
I've had several business lunches since my surgery on 5/6. I've ordered grilled fish, mashed potatoes and green beans. I've ordered pasta. I've ordered side dishes only of grilled citrus veggies and mashed potatoes. Last I ordered an appitizer and baked potato. Of course I always had left overs to take home. I just made sure I chewed very thing really well. I always tried to order protein when possible but if I couldn't, that was ok because even though I'm not on the liquid diet anymore I still drink at least 1 protein drink a day.
PatXYZ
on 6/13/11 11:44 am
Chef Salad, dressing on the side... eat the egg, cheese, some meat if you can and a few greens, again, as you can. Plus, it is its own dish, no special requests and no one will even notice you're not eating much or anything unusual like a special side order.
cabin111
on 6/13/11 2:15 pm
All of the ideas are good.  One thing...Don't order a cream soup (too much butter-fat).  If you do order steak...chew it to a paste...Better yet, stay away from steak at this time.  Things like a safe soup, cottage cheese, grilled chicken would work.  If you think the pouch is putting up a battle STOP EATING!!  Regroup and wait.  Also two of the most common signs that the pouch is full...your nose start to run or you start to hiccup.  Stop all eating at that time.  Enjoy the lunch.
SelfPay
on 6/13/11 2:23 pm

Lots of good information here.  I feel I can sort something out on the menu without making a complete fool of myself.  Thanks everyone!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 223 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics