Question about limits on corsets or bodice costumes post RNY surgery

cara_chapel
on 6/27/11 4:41 am
 Hi, all!  

I am (or I used to be, before I got too big to enjoy the activity required) an avid science fiction convention and renaissance festival attendee, and I love costumes and garb, particularly ones with tight bodices or corsets that provide lift and definition.  I'm really looking forward to being able to get away with more cool costumes-- dare I hope?  Even some sexy ones!

Will I still be able to wear clothing that is tight around the abdomen?  How tight is too tight going to be-- that is, would a bodice be OK, but not a corset?  Will even a bodice have to be laced very loosely?

Thanks.  :-)
 Cara

"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it." — 
Terry Pratchett (Monstrous Regiment)  

mandajolyn
on 6/27/11 4:55 am - Tallahassee, FL
I would think that once you've healed as long as it doesn't cause pain or discomfort you should be fine to wear these things. I was pretty sore the first 6 months and anything to tight made me uncomfortable. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to wear them after healing!
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

cara_chapel
on 6/27/11 5:32 am
 Thanks!  That's a great point about having to heal first.  I appreciate it!
 Cara

"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it." — 

lynnc99
on 6/27/11 5:02 am
You should have no problem. MANY of us wear "shapewear" post op and it's snug!
cara_chapel
on 6/27/11 5:33 am
Ohhh, I hadn't thought about that.  It'll be nice to be small enough to wear shapewear!  :D
 Cara

azurepenguin
on 6/27/11 5:11 am - Arlington, TX
 OH YAY!!! A post I can consider myself a 'mini expert' on.

Barring any weirdness or complications, you should be able to wear corsets with no trouble.   That being said...you are going to want to wait until you are fully healed and close to your goal weight.  The reason is...corsets are expensive.  I know..because I make them and I know what I charge for commissions.  It is actually easier to add panels to a corset and make them larger to accomodate weight gain.  Its almost impossible to make them smaller.  So until you are close to your goal weight you likely will not want to invest the cash (or the time/materials if you make your own) in a costume grade corset because it will be not wearable after time and about 50 pounds (sometimes even less) of weight loss.

I held off until I was about a year out to sew anything new that was form fitting and I'm SO thankful I did.  I don't do corsets personally but my 14th century European and 15th century Persian garb is VERY form fitting and I wear it very comfortablly.  You can check out pictures on my profile if you want to take a peek.

Good luck!
Jenn
aka: Genevieve in the SCA
         Shyama as a American Tribal (belly dance) performer  

cara_chapel
on 6/27/11 5:43 am
Thank you!!!!! It's great to hear from someone who has actually worn corsets and garb after surgery.  The photos are great!  May I friend you?  Since you make such lovely thins, I may put some business in your way when I hit my goal.   ;-D

Thanks for the advice about when to buy.  I have about 4 double-sided back lacing corsets that I really love, in various stages of "how heavy am I right now," and I'm really wincing about having to buy corsets over again.  I know what you mean about the price; they don't come cheap at all and I'm not a good enough seamstress to make anything more complicated than simple skirts and tops.  

Happily, though, most of my skirts and tops are springy elastic OSFA or can easily be taken in at the hems.  (I have a very skinny friend *****fused to believe I could garb her except for a bodice last year for her first faire, but I did!)

I am so looking forward to being able to wear heeled boots instead of flat ones!  ^_^
 Cara

azurepenguin
on 6/27/11 5:45 am - Arlington, TX
 Please feel free to friend me!!!! I love to help out when I can and would be happy to talk to you about garb or anything else.
Amber J.
on 6/27/11 7:13 am - Kirkland, WA
 I have a few steel boned corsets that I wear for occasional events. Some of them I have from when I was in high school and they fit me now. I'm almost four months out and totally healed. I feel no more discomfort then what you'd expect from squeezing yourself with steel boning. :)

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

cara_chapel
on 6/27/11 9:18 am
 That's awesome!  Sounds like you recovered really fast.  :-)
 Cara

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 225 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views