Natural Fruit Sugars....Dumping?

treehousestories
on 7/3/11 10:01 pm
Okay I'm really confused. I was told by my surgeon that I could eat really smashed up fruit with my cottage cheese since I'm on the pureed phase of the plan. I loved the Breakstone Cottage Doubles pre-surgery and had some in the fridge. I noticed that there was 9g of sugar in it! I'm assuming those are natural fruit sugars from the blueberries? Am I wrong? 

Do we dump from eating fruit?!

TamaraL
on 7/3/11 10:11 pm
you probably will be okay with the cottage cheese doubles.  Most people don't dump on fruit.

The only fruit I have gotten sick on is watermelon and either my blood sugar rose real high and then dropped or I dumped.  Not sure which!!

Tamara

lynnc99
on 7/3/11 10:50 pm
I wouldn't assume anything about the doubles.

Check the ingredients - I may be wrong but if memory serves, the "berries" in there is actually a berry topping.

The nutrition label will also reflect some sugars from naturally occurring lactose,

But: Fruit means....fruit.

Mash up about 1" of a banana, or use unsweetened applesauce. I'd steer wide and clear of anything processed like the "doubles."
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/3/11 10:55 pm - OH
Most people do not dump on natural fruit sugars or the sugars from milk (unless thay are lactose intolerant, of course).

The cottage cheese is probably fine because 9g is not a lot of sugar (depending on the serving size) and is likely just from the milk and fruit.  Check the list of ingredients carefully, though, and look for added sugar of any kind.  (The same applies to yogurt, but MANY types of yogurt with fruit DO have added sugar.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Alice P.
on 7/4/11 12:04 am
If you are concerned eat regular cottage cheese and stir in a spoonful of sugar free preserves.
 HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

siberiancat
on 7/4/11 1:07 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I do dump and I keep sugar to 9gm or less per serving.  Complex sugar from fruit, veggies, milk products do not raise the blood sugar as quickly as simple white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, etc.

You should be fine.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

BugdocMom
on 7/4/11 3:03 am - CA
Cottage Doubles have added highfructose corn syrup and sugar in their fruit "toppings." It is really not a good choice. I'd take the advice above and add either smashed real fruit or no added sugar preserves.

Also, some folks do dump on natural fruit and/or milk sugars. But it doesn't appear to be extremely common. And, when those sugars are eaten with a high protein food, they are less likely to cause dumping.