First real 'party' today post-op - help!!

foundthesun
on 7/3/11 11:32 pm, edited 7/3/11 11:35 pm - NJ
So, before I begin - I would like to mention in a little over a month now I've gone from 363 to around 320. Whch is CRAZY for me, seriously. Looking forward to seeing that big 2-0-0 start in the near future! But that is not what this post is about.

Today is a post about surviving a July 4th party. It's about week five at this point, and I am on stage III. Should I just bring my own food? Does anyone know if turkey burgers sans a bun is okay to eat? I luckily (and sometimes unluckily!) come from a family of bigmouths, so at the very least, I have no doubt EVERYONE knows I had my surgey, so at least no one will be tempting me with anything I shouldn't have.

Any tips in general? At this point, I just know I will be carrying my water bottles everywhere and I at least know there will be a fruit bowl I can take from if I bring something of my own.
Jacobsmama08
on 7/3/11 11:43 pm - Morgan Hill, CA
if you haven't tried a turkey burger yet, on your own, don't depend on that... you may take one bite and think "blech!! "  and technically you aren't supposed to be eating fruit yet, but I did, and some people do, against doctors advice, don't over do it, the acid might not sit well... You can eat cheese, if there's some, or bean dip? If I were you I'd bring my own, at least a protein shake, if nothing else, and just be prepared if that turkey burger doesn't like you. And don't put anything on it, bbq sauce, ketchup, at first, cuz those kinda sauces, condiments, too much sugar, make my stomach turn.... haven't tried it, but mustard might be okay, and I can eat A-1, but try it plain, first, and eat small slow bites and chew chew chew...  and pay attention to your pouch. I still, at 9 weeks can eat less than 1/4 of a burger patty. So STOP when you're feeling like your full. And have fun, it's not about the food anymore, it's about the fun!!

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

foundthesun
on 7/3/11 11:53 pm - NJ
Fruits are actually allowed in stage III, or at least it says so on my doctor's list for stage IiI. Watermelon, cantelope, strawberries, etc. are all on the "allowed to have" list as long as it's tolerated, with the serving being half a cup (2 oz). I've had absolutely NO issue with them luckily, so like I said, it's a good little 'snack' I can have that I know I won't feel sick with, as long as I don't overdo it. Which I haven't had any trouble doing - luckily, when you're paranoid like me, it's pretty easy to stay on task and never deviate from what I'm told to do.

Good advice with the turkey burger, though. I think I might just end up bringing my own meal to put in my sister's fridge. I can go without a 'real' dinner for a night, and just eat something high in protein (like tuna with a tiny bit of my fat free mayo) that I know won't make me barf, haha.
C J
on 7/4/11 12:11 am - Franklin, MA

First bit of advice... ENJOY the Party!!  Be awared of the eating but do NOT obsess about it!!

I'm 5 months out myself, what I try to do (when possible) is eat at home before I head off to the party. This way I know exactly what I'm eating - no hidden ingredients!   When I get to the party I keep busy socializing and helping the host with preparation, clearing empty plates and cups, keeping things tidy etc. There's always something to eat, but I do bring my deviled eggs!!     Egg, Mustard, Fat Free Mayo, a pinch of salt... very easy to prepare and everyone loves 'em.

If you're going to try a bit of turkey burger just take nibbles and chew to make sure it's broken down well enough ... take your time, make it last (protein first, no need for the bunn) at 5weeks I'd be surprised if you're able to get past 1/2 the burger!!!   Oh and if there's a choice in plates, use a smaller/dessert size one. This way you won't be tempted to fill the empty space on it!    

Do yourself a favor, DO NOT GRAZE!!!

I've been declared a slow loser - and couldn't be happier!!
 I  can,  I  will.  

Most Active
Recent Topics