What the doctor said...

toria01
on 7/20/11 6:57 am - Paducah, KY
Hello everyone,

I went to see the surgeon's pa yesterday. The news was upsetting. The last three weeks of not keeping any food down left my body really dehydrated, which was fixed by being on IV's throughout the night. She said that since I saw her three weeks before, that I had lost an additional 19lbs.  BUT... The fat in my body had went from 50% to 100%, the water from 130% down to 92% and out of the 19lbs lost, only two pounds was from stored fat, the other 17lbs. was from muscle. My blood pressure was 213/111. (it's been staying up the last three weeks,,, again.)  She said that she knew that I had been doing what I am suppose to do, but that  my body kept all of the food that it could before I got sick each time, storing it as fat. I got to come home today, but still feel weak and nauseous. She said that my stomach was swollen. She gave me prevacid, carafate, and regalan and told me to stay on a liquid diet with protein until I can see the surgeon. I live four hours away from the surgeon, but he will be here at his office on the 29th. He says he will do the scope and will proable need to stretch the opening. He did say if things gets worse that he will fly in sooner. I feel down as the whole purpose to get rid of the stored fat and it can't be a good idea to get rid of the muscle. Thank you all for being here.

Viva

Renee A.
on 7/20/11 7:04 am - GA
 I'm so sorry for what you are going through.  Try not to get discouraged.  I'm sure that things will get better and if you are able to keep down the protein, you will stop losing the muscle.  My dietician said adequate protein intake with exercise will spare the muscle and allow you to lose fat.  Things will turn around:-)
 Renee    
toria01
on 7/20/11 7:22 am - Paducah, KY
Thank you Renee for your words of encouragement. I will drink the protein because I have to, but that is one yucky stuff. lol.

I started to put the weight loss bar in the email and just figured out that I don't want to because it isn't real weight loss. I want to erase it.

Thanks, Viva
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/20/11 7:19 am - OH
I'm sorry, but some of what you wrote doesn't make sense.

" The fat in my body had went from 50% to 100%, the water from 130% down to 92% and out of the 19lbs lost, only two pounds was from stored fat, the other 17lbs. was from muscle. My blood pressure was 213/111. (it's been staying up the last three weeks,,, again.)  She said that she knew that I had been doing what I am suppose to do, but that  my body kept all of the food that it could before I got sick each time, storing it as fat."

First, your body CANNOT be 100% fat, nor can it be 130% water.  What are these figures?   Second, your body can only store food as fat when  you comsume more than you burn (and clearly, that is NOT the case here) so your body did NOT store the little bit of food you ate and did not throw back up as fat.  I don't know whether she gave you nonsensical information in an attempt to simplify her explanation of things or perhaps whether you misunderstood what she was trying to say, but something is amiss.

It is bothersome, however, if you are losing more muscle than fat.  What type of instrument/method did she use to measure this?  I ask because some instruments/methods are MUCH less accurate than others so the numbers she gave you could be off significantly.  The main reason you would be losing muscle is a lack of protein, so you should do whetever you can to get in as much protein as possible.

I hope you are able to get the problems with eating/drinking resolved soon.  Waiting another 9 days to see the surgeon seems like a very long time!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

toria01
on 7/20/11 7:33 am - Paducah, KY
You know Lora when I wrote this that I knew it wouldn't make sense because I don't understand the medical language. She explained it more than once, but I still only know what she said, now what she means. I had to go thru the ER to be admitted and the doctor there seemed to understand the numbers etc.I think it's more, that I can't explain it right. I am drinking the protein and hopefully the medicine will allow the protein to stay down. That was one of the problems the past three weeks was I was getting sick every time I drunk the protein. I don't know an instrument from an instrument. lol. I don't want to wait nine days to see him either. I just want everything to be ok and work the way that it is suppose to. I don't know Lora, I just feel really discouraged. Thanks for writing.

Viva
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/20/11 7:37 am - OH
The numbers really don't matter... they were just very confusing.  What matters is getting you to the point where you can eat and drink properly.  Have you tried the protein waters rather than the shakes?  Those are often easier to keep down (even if some of them taste horrible).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

toria01
on 7/20/11 11:15 am - Paducah, KY
I have tried some of the water, good idea. I am going to go and get more of the water tomorrow. You're right, they are easier to get down. Have a good night Lora.
Viva
johnsoca
on 7/20/11 7:40 am - Madison, AL
One hundred percent fat? OH NO -- where did your bones go? And how can you have more than 100% water in your body? Those numbers just don't make any sense. I think you should be proud of the 19lbs. you've lost. It sounds like you've gone through a lot to lose them. 

Your blood pressure is really concerning, though. Are you on any meds for that ? If your blood pressure is staying that high, you should be on medication. Can you see your PCP between now and the 29th? You really need to get that issue addressed ASAP.

To minimize losing muscle, you've got to keep your protein up. I know it's hard to do that with nausea issues, but you've just got to do it. 

I hope your surgeon can fix your problem on the 29th!

toria01
on 7/20/11 11:13 am - Paducah, KY
I don't know what she meant by the numbers, I'm sure that I just don't know how to explain them. I do take two kinds of blood pressure pills a day. It was doing better before the surgery. I will keep an eye on it tho. Thanks for writing.
Viva
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 486 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 73 views