Smoothies

astrochick18
on 7/26/11 12:32 am - Archer, FL
Are smoothies okay?

I have been dying for a smoothie and my NUT said they were find. My question is....How much sugar in a FRUIT smoothie is okay?

My NUT said no more than 15g of sugar per meal, but fruit has good sugar in it. Does the 15g rule still apply? If so, there are hardly any smoothies that stay under that limit, even if made with Splenda.

Any suggestions?

BTW, I am talking about smoothies from resturants (Planet Smoothie, Tropical Smoothie Cafe, etc..)

poet_kelly
on 7/26/11 12:40 am - OH
The sugar in fruit bother some people but many tolerate it fine.  Personally, I would avoid smoothies with added sugar.  If the only sugar in them was from fruit, I could drink that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

gbsinsatx
on 7/26/11 12:53 am - San Antonio, TX

I make my own: 
1 scoop vanilla 100% whey protein powder
1 cup fat free & lactose free milk
1/4 cup no sugar added frozen fruit: blackberries OR blueberries OR cherries OR mango 
OR papaya OR peaches OR 
pineapple
OR red raspberries OR strawberries
1/2 cup crushed ice
1/4 cup water

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Jenny_D
on 7/26/11 5:23 am, edited 7/26/11 5:23 am - Canton, GA
I make my smoothies almost the same way, except I use a full cup of frozen berries and don't add ice or water.
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

Amy T.
on 7/26/11 1:04 am - CA
I am almost 6 weeks out,  and can tollerate any fruit.  As long as the smoothies only have fruit and NO added sugar,  I can drink them.  I make lots of them at home with fresh fruit, ice, splenda and sometimes a little milk to make it creamy.

Coldstone has a good fruit smoothie that is made with fresh fruit and splenda.  This one is good too.

Good Luck!
Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

nancybugg
on 7/26/11 1:13 am - Riverview, FL
At Tropical Smoothie Cafe they will make your smoothie with Splenda and Whey Protein.  It's quite tasty!
JimsBrat
on 7/26/11 2:58 am
Jamba Juice has smoothies that are made with a low calorie dairy base and splenda so they are nsa and lower calorie, they also have some that are all fruit. If you ask they will show you the nut count for all items on the menu to help you choose.

Height 5' 7"   ~  HW 264  ~ SW 234 ~ GW 160 or less made goal with in 1 year ~ regain now back on track

KimminyK
on 7/26/11 3:30 am - Hannon, Canada
I haven't checked out any "purchased" smoothies yet because I'm worried about the added sugar. I'm currently sipping on my home-made one right now! :)

I have made this one for YEARS (way back to Protein Power days) I love it and it's so easy. You can make it in a blender, a Magic Bullet or with an immersion blender.

1/2 cup Cottage cheese (yes, cottage cheese)
1/2 cup Sugar Free Yogurt of your choice
1/2 cup FROZEN berries of your choice
1/2 cup Skim Milk

Blend it WELL, and you won't even know there's cottage cheese in it.

This will give you about 22 grams of protein, some fiber (depending on berries), and under 250 calories. 

Sometimes if the fruit isn't very sweet, I add a little bit of Splenda or Crystal light.

This will keep me feeling full and satisfied for about 4 hours. (Takes me about an hour to drink it)

Enjoy!
astrochick18
on 7/26/11 10:06 am - Archer, FL
Thanks for all the advice.

You answered my question very well.

So, as long as it doesn't have ADDED sugar it should be fine. Is that correct? I haven't had any fruit intolerances yet and have tried strawberries, blackberries, blueberries.

TamaraL
on 7/26/11 10:17 am
the ones in the planet smoothie, Tropical smoothie cafe is not just fruit. THey have tons of added sugar in them. Example the strawberries is strawberries in a sauce with sugar in it.  The smoothie I had at planet smoothie had a humoungous amount of sugar in it so I only had a few bites of it

Tamara

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 485 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 412 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 399 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 343 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 180 views