Has anyone had surgery to remove excess skin?

E_Williams_Floyd
on 7/26/11 10:24 am - Pueblo, CO
I'm schedule to have surgery on August 30th. I'm wondering if I will need to have excess skin surgerically removed to wear tank tops and such.
Dave Chambers
on 7/26/11 10:33 am - Mira Loma, CA
You may or may not need that type of surgery. Genetics, body type, age at time of surgery, exercise, etc.--all have a part in this issue. There are some patients who exercise a lot, follow all protocol and have no loose skin issues. Yet others who do the exact same routine have issues. Excess skin can be on abdomen, arms, thighs, butt, or even breasts.  Breast reduction or "panni" (removal of excess skin only--no muscle tightening) are typical surgeries your insurance company may offer. But usually, documentation about skin rashes, fungal infections, skin affecting your ability to walk or exercise is needed. This would include a history of physician visits, prescriptions for fungal meds or meds for rashes, photos at doctors to show issue, etc. would be needed.  These procedures are simple skin removal. A typical panni will remove excess abdomnimal skin, but not tighten stomach muscles and the scar from surgery is usually very visible. Basically, the lose skin is "just lopped off" and you may not have a belly button after this surgery either.  A plastic surgeon who speaks at my support meetings has discussed this issue at his annual talks. The majority of his patients that want a tummy tuck have already had the panni, and are unhappy with it.  Sometimes large breasted women have issues post op, and they can get breast reductions with their insurance paying. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/26/11 10:51 am - OH
How much excess skin you have depends on your age, how much weight you lose, how long you have been heavy, and genetics (some people just have more elastic skin than others).  Whether you "need" to have the skin removed, though, also depends on how you feel about it.  Two people might ahve the same amount of excess skin on their arms ("batwings") and one might absolutely HATE it and be willing to pay to have it removed (insurance does not cover arms) while the other might not mind it so much even in the summer.

I had a panniculectomy, tummy tuck, and arms done.  My thighs are hideous and my boobs hang to my waist, but I am done with plastic surgery.  The thighs and boobs I will just have to live with.  Unless I win the lottery, anyway.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

E_Williams_Floyd
on 7/26/11 12:22 pm, edited 7/26/11 12:23 pm - Pueblo, CO

I sure hope that I have the elastic skin that will snap back. lol I've been obese since a child and I'm quite sure my abdomen would  need work for bikini wear, but I don't live near a beach and sun rays can be so dangerous, so I'm not so worried now. I would like to wear tank tops without revealing my "batwings" (lol) when I wave or raise my arm. So,what it really boils dowb too is whether or not there I will have the adverse health effectsof saggy skin. Thanks for the info!

Laura in Texas
on 7/26/11 1:01 pm
Most likely you will need plastic surgery after you lose your weight. Start saving now or make sure your credit is good so you can get a loan, if you think the excess skin will bother you. It drove me crazy. I started with my arms 18 months ago and just had a lower body lift and breast lift 4 weeks ago. I am so thankful I had it done. I feel "whole" again.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Recent Topics