Carafate not working

Patti Johnson
on 8/1/11 2:24 am - Mooers, NY
I've been on carafate for 6 days now and 2 nexium a day... why does this ulcer still hurt? It even hurts when i eat and drink now. I also have this really bad pain just to the left of my pouch now that burns like HELL !  Does or did anyone else with ulcers have this?
  Patti Surgery date June 2,2011
BW -242 SW-219 CW-204 Goal - 120            
poet_kelly
on 8/1/11 2:51 am - OH
I've never had ulcers.  At least not that I know of.  I'd call your doc and let him know you're still having this much pain.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

facethemusic
on 8/1/11 4:02 am
*Hugs*  I'm going through the same thing.  Not to scare you or anything, but I've had my ulcers sine May!! 

Give the Carafate time to work. You've only been on it 6 days.  How often are you taking it?  Also, you can add in Mylanta and Zantac to help.  Doing that has helped me a ton, butnot 100%.  I'm getting ready to have a revision due to my ulcers not healing.  It's pretty rare that they don't heal though.  I'm the only patient my surgeon has ever had with non-healing ulcers. 

If eating and drinking is bothering you, which if you're like me I'm sure it is, then go back to basics.  Full liquids.  I know for me liquids don't hurt as bad as food.  The pain to the left is probably residual pain from the ulcer.  I get it too.  Make sure your surgeon scopes you again in about 6 weeks to make sure the ulcer is healing.  Also, ask your surgeon for this stuff called Green Goddess.  It's a combo of Mylanta, Lidocaine and Donnatal.  You'll have to get it from a compound pharmacy, but it is a life saver.  I take it about 20 mintues before I "eat" (I'm on liquids) and it helps so much!  

I'm so sorry you're suffering with an ulcer.  The pain is rough, I know.  I hope it gets better soon!  
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

jennifer B.
on 8/1/11 5:28 am
Give the carafate some times. I have ulcers before my surgery and the carafate DOES WORK. Just give it a bit of time. Try talking ot your doctor about Protonix. It is like carafate just a bit strong. Hope you feel better soon!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 493 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 365 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 9 replies · 73 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?