Low fat, Low sugar, low carb diet preop, but how low?

Trish S.
on 8/12/11 9:22 am - Upstate , NY
I am not scheduled for surgery until December, but I know that we are supposed to follow a low carb, low fat, low sugar diet post-op.  I want to continue to lose weight preop so I want to follow the postop diet.  What are the recommended limitations for sugar, carb and fat?  Like what should I try to stay below for each?  I'm not sure what would be recommended per day, or per meal? Thanks for all of your help......I appreciate all of your insight!
“I think everyone should be told they’re beautiful until they believe it.?

poet_kelly
on 8/12/11 9:40 am - OH
I don't count carbs.  I just limit the starchy stuff like bread and pasta.  Different people have different numbers they try to stay under, if they count carbs.

I don't pay a lot of attention to how many grams of fat is in things, either.  I go for low fat or fat free when available, like choosing skim milk and low fat cheese, and I avoid stuff obviously really high in fat, like say, onion rings.

I stay under 15 grams of sugar, the lower the better.  I know many people try to stay below 10 grams sugar.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

D-J
on 8/12/11 9:46 am, edited 8/11/11 9:48 pm
i was diagnosed with diabeties months before i had considered the surgery(which is one of the many reasons why i did have the surgery) but i had completly taken myself off the sugar and the carbs,, well most carbs anyway,the ones i knew about,rice,, pasta's,,bread..,,i'm italian so i deffinetly went through withdrals on the bread, pasta thing,,LOL

my two week pre-op diet consisted of a choice of two shakes or protien bars a day,and then anykind of and as much as i wanted ,,salad stuff or vegatables (except tomatoes and carrots cause they have sugars) ,and a sensable non-fat lean meal in the evening ,,no fats ,no oils, no butters,no milk,no cheese's
Heidi L.
on 8/12/11 10:07 am - San Jose, CA
RNY on 09/21/10 with
My surgeon had no limitations for carbs or sugar. Try to go fat free to limit dumping and calories. 60-80 grams of protein daily. 1 to 2 protein shakes as needed.

Our 1 year post-op diet is 3 meals/day consisting of 3oz lean protein and 1/2c. cooked or 1c. raw fruits or vegetables.

Example would be 1c. salad with 3 ounces light chicken salad. For breakfast 2 eggs with 1 c. cantaloupe or 3 ounces cottage cheese with 1c. sliced peaches.

I think that is GREAT that you are trying to do this to see what it will be like. The idea of being able to eat fruit guilt free sold me on having surgery. I was not allowed fruit before.

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#

Trish S.
on 8/12/11 10:31 am - Upstate , NY
Thank you all, very much!
“I think everyone should be told they’re beautiful until they believe it.?

Tammy G.
on 8/12/11 12:43 pm
RNY on 06/16/11 with
Aim for 70 grams of protein and 60 grams of QUALITY carbs, not refined carbs. This website has an excellent food tracker. Don't drink your calories. I did a 1200 calorie diet for my 6 months pre-op. If you go under 1000 you risk your metabolism shutting down and not losing anything. Focus on quality, non-processed foods. If it has more than 3 or 4 ingredients or ingredients you can't pronounce, then skip it. Start taking a multivitamin if you aren't already.

Distal RNY 6/11 SW 456  CW 311 Complications: Small bowel strangulation 12/23/2012, non healing surgical incision--ongoing.  Still.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 362 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 271 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 195 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 123 views
Recent Topics