Food Progression

Nicholelyczak
on 8/14/11 4:43 am - IL
Well, I'm still lost on what to do about my crushed meds which make me so sick, so I'm calling the surgeon tomorrow. This question has to do with the diet progression. My surgeon says to do blended/pureed foods for 2 weeks and then move on to soft/low residue foods. (this is after being on full liquids for a week post op) I was just wondering how strict this progression is and if anyone has pushed the boundaries a bit faster and been okay. I know everyone's different and I definitely don't want to end up with a bowel blockage...but I'm planning on going to the movies this week with my best friend and was wondering if it would be too brave of me to try soft pretzel bites with cheese as long as I chew them down to a pulp. I'm really dying on this blended diet because I can't stand any of this stuff having no texture. Just thought what your ideas were on it...

Thanks guys!

Michele816
on 8/14/11 4:58 am
There is no saying what would or would not happen definitively if you pushed your food progression, but you are likely asking for trouble if you do. First, your system needs time to heal which is the reason for the gradual progression to denser and denser foods.  Second, a soft pretzel with cheese at the movies is not the food choice you want to make-this early out as well as during your losing phase.  It is not sound nutrionally and is a "throwback" choice that doesn't help you create new and healthier habits because it keeps you, at least partially, in the old ones.  The pureed and soft stages are challenging from a texture standpoint, but they don't have to be low on flavor.  Be creative.  There are many great ideas out there.  Just look or ask. 

Pamela F.
on 8/14/11 4:58 am - OR
I can't do soft bread at all. Still at 5 months out. I wouldn't risk it honestly.... it always makes me feel sick to my stomach and sometimes it's actually painful. But that's just my opinion.
For by grace we are saved. Ephesians 2:8

Shanneee
on 8/14/11 5:21 am - MN
STAY AWAY!  Pretzels are VERY high in refined carbs and is how we got into this mess in the first place!  Why not bring a greek yogurt with instead?  

http://www.livestrong.com/article/28412-list-refined-carbs/

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 339 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 249 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 9 replies · 46 views