Exercise: Yuck!!!

krs1976
on 8/21/11 2:15 am
Hi, I'm 2 weeks post-op.  I often read on here about people exercising every day, 2 hours a day, etc.  I'm trying to figure out how I can make myself do this.  I work 50 hours a week and have a 1 year old and a 4 year old and I am exhausted and busy all the time!!  And did I mention that I HATE exercise?  I know that's not terrible but it's a reality for me.  If I don't exercise is there no way I will reach my goals?  Just wanting to see if there are any other non-exercisers out there.  Yes, I know I have to exercise but it's never been easy for me and I know surgery isn't going to make it any easier.  Thanks for your thoughts on this.
237/231/143/140                                  RNY: 8/8/11
HW/SW/CW/GW

Lisa R.
on 8/21/11 2:21 am - CA
I am 4 months out.  I have lost 56lbs, and I started at what people like to call a "light weight"....I'm not sure if that term applies to my former self, but I digress...

Anyway, in the beginning I was big on going to the gym and getting in at least an hour 5x's a week.  Then on July 6th something happened and my right knee went bad.  Then later my left knee went bad.  I have not done a lick of exercise since July 4th.  I have lost more weight since I stopped exercising!  It is nuts!

If I could exercise would I?  Heck yes!  but I can't so I don't and I lose 2-5lbs per week.  You will lose with out exercise.  The question then becomes, will you keep it off with out exercise?  I think that depends but I bet it is better in the long term if you do find a way to get some kind of activity in, even just walking.  It will help you in the long term and that is what this is all really about. 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
bunnicash
on 8/21/11 2:23 am - Sedalia, MO
I use my wii fit....so addicting and you don't feel like your exercising. :)
  ~ Be the change you want to see in the world                                        Ashley                                           
jmelyn1977
on 8/21/11 2:31 am
I am in the same boat as you!!! I HATE exercising as well!!! And in the beginning I did exercise a little. But otherwise, do not do much. I also work 40 hours a week and have 3 kids that are very busy... I have lost 71# in just over 4 months!!!
So as long as you are "active" and not eating a bunch of Twinkies I think you will still lose weight. I tell myself that maybe when I lose some more weight I "might" wanna exercise...
:P
Good luck to you!
Jamie

T. Deeds
on 8/21/11 2:38 am
I get mine in in pieces, I do 40 mins of walking before work by walking to the train station that's further from my house and then skipping the shuttle bus when I get off the train.  Then, either go to the gym or walk for 40 minutes on my break at work.  After work, I repeat the morning routine in reverse.  Also, if I need to go to the grocery store, I walk there.  If I'm going to hang out with my friends, I suggest an active activity, like hiking or going to the beach so I can swim.  Basically, I seek out as many opportunities to be active as I can.  Also, I started small and worked my way up to 1 1/2 to 2 hours of activity a day. 

Maybe you could take your kids on walks and walk on your breaks at work, that would be a start.  If you go grocery shopping by car, then maybe you could park your car a block or two a way from the store.  I don't know all the details of your life cir****tances, but these are the kind of things you can do to incorporate activity into your life.  I'll admit that I'm a single woman with no kids, so it's easier for me to make time for exercise than it is for someone like you, but whatever exercise you can fit in is better than none!

AnneGG
on 8/21/11 3:30 am
I hate exercise, too, but I run 5 miles a day anyhow. Now, if you had asked me pre-surgery if I would be doing this, I would have just laughed.

I think exercise is very helpful for getting and keeping the weight off, but mostly to make me healthier. A recent study showed that just 15 minutes a day of exercise adds 3 years to your life. Just imagine what exercise plus the weight off could do!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

HappyMango
on 8/21/11 3:38 am - FL
I think you'll find once the weight starts dropping off, you won't be as tired and will be naturally more active.  When you take the kids outside or to the park, play with them.  Run and play tag...kids think its hilarious to chase their mommy!  Climb on the monkey bars!  Turn up some music and dance with them in the house... All of that is exercise!  Do little bits here and there.  Don't feel like you have to do 30 minute blocks any movement is good movement. 

I'm pre-op but my surgeon asks us to find some exercise to start doing now and I'm exhausted all the time.  I have a toddler that doesn't sleep through the night and I'm also at work around 50 hours a week.  So we dance.  My boyfriend did buy me Dance Central for the Xbox 360 and we put that on...the toddler gets exercise too because he is "learning" the dance routines.  It's time spent together.  But sometimes all I can do is a simple game of tag...maybe 10 minutes worth but it's still us moving. Oh yah, another favorite is seeing who can crawl the fastest around the house...me or the toddler!  OR he rides on my back while I "horsy" him around. 

See I think you'd be surprised.  Exercise doesn't have to be a specific structured thing.  Some people thrive on that.  Some people don't.

poet_kelly
on 8/21/11 3:48 am - OH
Without knowing what your goals are, I don't know if you can reach them without exercising or not.  If you mean reaching a certain weight, yes, you can do that without exercising.  You just won't be able to eat as much.

I've exercised some but not very much since surgery and I am below goal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/21/11 4:02 am - OH
You CAN lose the weight (and maintain the loss) without any formal exercise program (I am pretty limited in the exercise I can do both by a knee that needs replaced and further limited by my own dislike of formal exercise, but I got down to 2 pounds under my goal weight and am maintaining at 25% body fat and within 5-7 pounds of my goal weight after 4 years)... but it DOES mean that you have to be more diligent about monitoring what you eat. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

kellyl1202
on 8/21/11 4:35 am
We bought a recumbent bicycle off craigslist a while back and I have been doing 15 min in the morning and 15 in evening. I think you just have to figure what will work best for you & your schedule and PS I HATE to exercise but I always feel better and accomplished when I fini****'s just the getting started that is hard!
Kelly L  
5'ft 1in   RNY 9/12/11
301 HW / 287.7 SW / 216 CW / 150 GW

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 445 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 395 views