Exercise Prior to WLS

skinnywhatwhat
on 9/6/11 3:26 pm
So question about fitness and working out...

I have yet to have WLS and at 380 right now.  As I am waiting for my approval (and working on my eating habits), I am working on building my exercise endurance right now so when I have the surgery, the transition into a workout routinue as well as ability to exercise is a smooth transition. 

What I am doing right now is to set up weekly goals on the bike, trendmill, and elliptical, maintain that for the week, and then push to increase my time for the next week. 

So far on the elliptical, I was able to complete 5 minutes without stopping.  I did not know what my heart rate is during that period.  I am working on maintaining the five minutes with adding 1 minute every week.  In addition, I am at a mile in 15 minutes on the trendmill and a mile in 10 minutes on the bike.  I am working on decrease my mile time on the trendmill and increasing my mileage on the bike. 

I am unable to hire a trainer at this moment; I am saving that for after the WLS.  So thoughts?  Am I doing the right thing and/or should I alter anything?  Looking for any suggestions to build the good habits now.  Thanks so much!

HW: 386 / SW: 386 / CW: 298 / GW: 160
sweetpotato1959
on 9/6/11 3:35 pm
 Sounds like a good plan,...
     .. before   my surgery. I worked full time on my feet all day...did not have an exercise plan...live too far out for a gym membership... so walking was my main  thing to do after.
          I would suggest you add    isometrics to your regimine at night...just before sleep time...that will give you some extra burn for several hours of the night... and build your muscle strength... 
Denise
skinnywhatwhat
on 9/6/11 3:52 pm
Thanks!  It looks like these I can do at my house in the evening.  Just have to get some small free weights and then maybe a stretch band or something similar.  I typically makes it to the gym in the AM. 

Any suggestions of isometric exercises that I can at home? 
sweetpotato1959
on 9/7/11 1:38 am
 the Isolmetrics I use require nothing but your body and your mind..... Just  take each set of muscles.. contract them hold for a count of 8 or ten, relax them slowly. do in sets of five. start with lower legs. by the time you get to  neck you will be tired!.

Denise
AnneGG
on 9/6/11 5:15 pm
Sounds to me that you are doing great! It helped me a lot post op to have worked out and walked 2 miles a day pre op.

Good work!!!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

losing-jennifer
on 9/6/11 9:44 pm
You're doing great. Exercise will help your surgery tremendously! You will do better overall and recover quicker. Your surgeon will love to hear that your getting active.
Jen
HW 254  SW 242  CW 148
**Down 106 pounds from highest weight!**

InkdSpEdTchr
on 9/7/11 3:15 am
Seems like you're on the right track, just keep increasing your time and the resistance (the higher the better!).

You don't need a trainer, but getting some bands and doing body resistance will help a lot too. I think the reason I kept so much muscle was because I did weights pre and post op.

Bonne Chance!

:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Paul C.
on 9/7/11 3:25 am - Cumming, GA
I would work on increasing you distance on the Treadmill and bike and maintain your same pace.  You will get more of a benefit from going longer than you will going faster at this point.if you can do a mile in 15 minutes then shoot for doing 20 minutes and when you are comfortable with that then shoot for 25.  Once you have had surgery and have started dropping weight then start focusing on speed as you don't want to risk injury.  You can work on speed some but I wouldn't worry about trying to hit a 10 minute mile.  Build a good foundation that you can build upon later.

Massive Kudos for working on getting your life changes in place this soon.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
skinnywhatwhat
on 9/7/11 10:24 am
@ Paul C. 

Thanks for the suggestion!  Right now, I should be focusing more on my endurance right now because once I lose the weight, the speed will increase.  Thanks for the refocusing.  I did not consider that. 
LJ1972
on 9/7/11 9:26 am - FL
I worked with a trainer for about 6 weeks before my surgery. She gave me a lot of workout plans and they all included strength training as well as cardio. If you would like to message me your email I will try to send them to you.

I had zero problems in surgery, zero in recovery . My first walk in the hospital after surgery was less than 2hrs after I got to my room and my surgeon's nurse told me to find my trainer and say thank you.
I am 3 weeks out yesterday and was cleared at 10 days to do LIGHT gym workouts and walking 1.25 miles on the treadmill.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views