2 week clear liquids AND weight loss?!?!

ElleBW
on 9/22/11 8:22 am - WA
I was told to lose weight pre-op, and I get why and I've lost almost all of it. Today I find out that I will have to do two weeks of clear liquids pre-op too?! Why??? I'll ask my doctor tomorrow, but would welcome your input. Thanks!

Elle BW
Be kinder than necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some sort of battle.                                                                                        
                                                                                               Paulo Coelho    

nikki7805
on 9/22/11 9:00 am
The clear liquid diet is to shrink your liver. I have read other people's posts here that if your liver isn't shrank enough, the doctor may not do your surgery. My dr only requires a 2 day liquid diet, but i've been doing it all this week in preparation for surgery on Monday. Good Luck!

HW 307lbs  SW 299lbs Day or Surgery 297.4
Life is a journey that has just been standing still for me.. I'm ready to start LIVING!
Month 1 [-29] Month 2 [-9.5] Month 3 [-14 ]  Month 4 [ ] Month 5 [ ] Month 6 [ ]
Month 7 [ ] Month 8 [ ] Month 9 [ ] Month 10 [ ] Month 11 [ ] One Year! [ ]
bittybabynurse
on 9/22/11 9:21 am, edited 9/21/11 9:22 pm - MN
Doctors tend to tell people that the 2 wk liquid diet is to shrink the liver. From what I understand it doesn't really "shrink" your liver as much as it burns off fat that has collected around your liver. Not only do we have fat under our skin, we have it accumulated around our organs. During surgery they "retract" or move the liver out of the way to better view the stomach/intestines. If the liver is coated by lots of fat there is a higher chance that the tool they use to retract the liver can slip and damage the liver.

Its hard, but you'll make it. I remember a few times when I didn't think I would. I have a 2 yr old and I would take her out of the house to the zoo, the mall, anywhere I could to keep from being in the house around any temptation.

Pick a high protein shake and that will keep you from being as hungry. Get lots of sugar free snacks like jello, chicken broth, sugar free popcicles. Keep busy!

The liquid diet for me had a few pleasant side effects (not that I thought they were pleasant at the time). I found I kinda detoxed from junk food - especially carbs and chocolate. Even now I don't care that much for them - just never really let them back in.
Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
NolaRendezvous
on 9/22/11 9:31 am - NC
My doc explained pretty much the same thing about the liver being fatty.  He did also tell me that the liver will be brittle and can be prone to cracking & bleeding without the 2 week diet - which isn't so much a problem as a bump in the road.  He said being on the 2 week liquid diet makes the liver more pliable. 

My doc is allowing 3-4 oz of lean protein per day.  As well as 4-5 protein shakes, broth, sf jello & ice pops & juices like Crystal Light.\

I'm a little worried because I will be at my nephew's bar mitzvah for the weekend before my surgery and there will be TONS of foods I cannot eat.  I'm trying to psych myself up for this.
ElleBW
on 9/22/11 3:11 pm - WA
Thanks for the input! If I get to do the shakes, there won't be a problem as I have been drinking mostly those to drop the weight so far. I'm just not pleased at having to do clear liquids only. We'll see, but it doesn't really matter, I'm in it for the long haul!

Elle BW
Be kinder than necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some sort of battle.                                                                                        
                                                                                               Paulo Coelho    

immafatgirl
on 9/23/11 1:27 am - KY
its hard , and when you get reall hungry . u stress. just try to do the best you can. thats all anybody can do. good luck with your situation...
waitingtoexhale69
on 9/23/11 5:59 am - IL
YES, THEY SAY THAT THE CLEAR LIQUID DIET WILL HELP TO REDUCE THE LIVER , BUT WHAT ABOUT THOSE GUYS THAT ARE REALLY REALLY OBESE AND THEY DO THE SURGERY ANY WAY DISPITE THE SIZE OF THE LIVER. THE SURGEONS AR VERY CAREFUL IN THIS REPECT BECAUSE THE PATIENTS THAT THEY ARE OPREATING ON ARE A SAFTY RISK.  I KNOW A FEW OF PEOPLE INCLUDING MYSELF THAT WAS NOT REQUIRED TO DO THAT LIQUID THING.  I AM 4 WEEKS POST OP AND I WAS FINE.  I AM NOW EATING A SENSIBLE DIET AND EVERYTHING IS GOING WELL .  I DID DO THE LIQUID DIET 2 WEEKS POST OP AS THE DOCTOR RECCOMMENDED.  BOY WAS THAT CHALLENGING TO SAY THE LEAST.  TAKE A LOOK AT THE U TUBE SITE AND TYPE 1,2 3 DAYS POST OP AND SEE OTHERS JOURNEY AS WELL.  I SAW THIS GUY WHO WAS 2 WEEKS POST OP EATING OUT AT HIS LOCAL DINER AND SAID HE DID FINE WITH MASH POTATOES AND CHICKEN SANDWHICH EVEN THOUGH HE BARELY ATE MUCH.  EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.

Brandi S.
on 9/24/11 8:01 am - TX
I was told yesterday at my pre op appt that I had to lose 20 lbs before surgery... in 19 days! I am on the all liquid protein diet and I tell you, it's been rough. The protein powder makes me wanna barf but the broth and sugar free popsicles are a treat. Hang in there, we can do it!
ElleBW
on 9/24/11 10:54 am - WA
I'm with you! We'll both get through it just fine. Hang in there yourself and good luck!

Elle BW
                                                                                               Paulo Coelho    

Most Active
Recent Topics