why do I have cotton Mouth???

Massagelady
on 9/24/11 6:23 am
 Hi all:  I am about 5 weeks out from surgery.  Everything is going fine except I seem to have cotton mouth a lot!  Especially when I wake up in the morning.  I'm drinking all the time it seems, except of course an hour after I eat etc.  (I really get cotton mouth then)

My blood sugar has been relatively low so I don't think its that.  I did have thrush after surgery.  I thought it was cleared up but maybe not?

Any ideas thoughts etc. would be much appreciated!!

thanks!
Kathy M.
on 9/24/11 6:29 am - summershade, KY
I'm also 5 weeks out and have cotton mouth I was told it is normal I hope it get's better
but mine aunt is 2 years out and still have cotton mouth  I try drink something right be for I go to bed it help a lil so sorry I can't tell ya why

Kathy M

Dave Chambers
on 9/24/11 6:37 am - Mira Loma, CA
Drink more water.  I met a woman and offered her one of the new sublingual B12 I was using, at a local support group. She was 10 days post op.  After 2 minutes, she asked how long it takes the b12 to dissolve?   I told her 30 seconds, and then she rolled the pill up to the top of her tongue.  To me it was very clear she was dehydrated, as this sublingual has dissolved in under 30 seconds for me or anyone else that has tried these.  I told her she "had bad spit" that could be resolve by drinking more water.  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

MedPig
on 9/24/11 6:42 am
Keep drinking.  I keep water next to the bed, even to the point of walking up at night for a bathroom run, I will take the time to drink more water, before going back to bed. 

Waiting after meals REALLY stinks, because all you want to do is drink.  But, when it's time to drink, keep sipping water constantly, and get tha****er in.  I'm surprised, even in small doses, how much I can drink over the course of a day.

Water counts, things like Iced Tea do not, since they have sodium, and might even make you thirstier.

Massagelady
on 9/24/11 6:53 am
 yes I really hope it goes away too!  grrr....I drink crystal light quite a bit because plain water just doesn't do it for me at this point anyway.  Could that be a problem?
_Donna_
on 9/24/11 7:18 am
The one thing that helped me a whole big bunch was gum. The Extra dessert flavors. It was recommended to me by the pharmacist.  I was extremely grateful. The ingredient Xorbital creates extra saliva.

RNY 5-5-2011

lilbear412
on 9/24/11 8:24 am - MN
 i bought some sugar free mints to have on hand for this but also when i go somewhere and i have the ketosis breath.  But i too have woken up with some dry mouth as of late but i think its because the weather is cooler and drier here.  I put a b12 sublingual in my mouth today and it was gone in a matter of seconds.  I have been drinking 6 to 7 glasses of chrystal light/ aquafina flavor splash a day and my urine is pretty clear colored.   

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Barbara C.
on 9/24/11 9:01 am - Raleigh, NC
As others have said, it's a sign of dehydration and it is not 'normal.' You need to be getting at least  64 ounces of fluids daily. Know that some medications can also cause cotton mouth. You can often check online to view the side effects of the medications you take or contact your Dr or pharmacist. If it continues, I would suggest taking all of your medications with you to your Dr and ask them for support to find out what is going on. 

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Massagelady
on 9/24/11 9:36 am
 Ithought gum was a no-no?  I see my Doc' this thursday I'll ask about this and what he thinks I should be doing.  thanks for all the suggestions and letting me know that I'm not alone!!  

_Donna_
on 9/24/11 9:38 am
It's not a no-no if you dont swallow it. lol

RNY 5-5-2011

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?