OT: Fluid in inner ear - How to get rid of it?

Trish S.
on 10/18/11 9:55 am - Upstate , NY
I'm scheduled in 6 weeks for my RNY and I have a lot of fluid in my inner ears....not infected, but makes me very dizzy and nauseous.  They put me in Allegra D over the weekend and I ended up in the ER with really high blood pressure and a resting pulse of 132.  Obviously, I can't take a decongestant (same thing with NyQuil).  I was wondering if any of you have any home remedies to get rid of fluid behind an eardrum.  I am willing to try anything.  I can't have any antibiotics 30 days before my RNY..........  and I was already on them, and since there's no infection...it didn't help. I don't want this fluid to turn into an ear infection, and  I really would like to clear this up as soon as I can......Thanks for all of your advice, in advance!

--Trish
“I think everyone should be told they’re beautiful until they believe it.?

Kim2011
on 10/18/11 10:21 am - NC
I know you said you can't take decongestants but what about benadryl? I think its a different type of decognestant. A nasal spray could also help. I have put hydrogen perixode in my ear before when it was hurting. Sorry wasn't much help...hope you get some relief!
Dave Chambers
on 10/18/11 12:10 pm - Mira Loma, CA
I had an issue with one of my ears a few years ago.  I went to the Urgent Care center. Doc looked into my left ear and said he could see some debris in there. The nurse came in and mixed some hydrogen peroxide and distilled water together. A large bayonet syringe (no needle, just syringe body) was used to draw some of this fluid, and it was squirted into the affected ear.  A small plastic hospital tray was held under my ear to catch fluid that came out.  And I could see some "discolored floaties" in the water, some black and some grey.  Nurse said it looked like some type of fungus. Rinsed a 2nd time, and I could now hear out of that ear for the first time in days.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Becky D.
on 10/18/11 1:52 pm - CA
You need an antihistamine not a decongestant.
Benadryl works for me.
angcanfly
on 10/18/11 3:27 pm
 Doctor put me on a diuretic for a week and the fluid came right out. My hearing was distorted because there was so much fluid behind my inner ear. It's worth a shot. He wrote me a prescription but you can get a low dose diuretic over the counter. 
Trish S.
on 10/18/11 11:42 pm - Upstate , NY
Thank you for all of your suggestions....I will try them all!!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/11 3:11 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Use an antihistamine;  that should help. 

When your nasal passages are affected by some allergy, all your sinuses (sinii??) swell shut.
The antihistamines shrink those passage, which in turn allow your inner ear to drain the fluids
through the Eustachian tube. 

Good luck!
Michelle_2975
on 10/19/11 4:45 am - Canada
I had the same problem. I asked a nurse at my work and she said to mix 1 par****er and 1 part white vinegar and put the mixure into my ear, keep my head tilled for 5 mins and then turn my head so that the fluid would drain out. I was told to do this 2x/day for about 5 days. If it persisted after 5 days I was advised to go see my doctor.
Trish S.
on 10/19/11 5:03 am - Upstate , NY
Thank you! 

shellbell75
on 10/19/11 6:01 am
So I just took my son to his pedi today b/c of this! She told me to have him blow his nose 3x's a day. ( Several times in the one sitting) it releases the pressure and build up in the escheasian (sp) tubes that are connected to the ear. I also just read this last week in a parenting magazine (yes, I totally forgot about it until the dr brought it up, LOL) HTH's!
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 361 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 269 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 184 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 295 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 122 views