Sleeping it off after dumping----

Shelly S.
on 11/3/11 2:11 pm - Mason, MI
I did a "stupid" tonight and inhaled a cookie without so much as a thought! 15 minutes later I was in a cold sweat, nauseous, shaky, with intense kidney pain---this is how I have dumped the 3 or 4 times since my RNY.

At this point, I tried drinking some water and then I fell into a sleep that was like the "carb coma" of ye old eating days when I would take out a loaf of toast without even thinking. A 20 minute sleep and I felt more stable.

Does anyone else fall asleep uncontrollably after a dumping episode?
Shelly Smith    
HW 326 SW 293 CW 180 GW 160        
unewillow
on 11/3/11 2:30 pm - CT
*raises hand* Even when I'm not dumping, but something isn't sitting right it helps me to lay down and close my eyes for a good half hour. It has kept me from puking many a time as well. I contribute needing to sleep post-dump to insulin dump and hypoglycemia I'm most likely experiencing. The brain uses glucose to function after all.

Monique A.
on 11/3/11 2:37 pm
I haven't experienced dumping yet. I have had my food stuck for almost four or five hours once and I did collapse from exhaustion after. I have heard that after a dumping there is almost a narcoleptic effect.

hlacy
on 11/3/11 3:00 pm - Chandler, AZ
The couple times I have had the foamies or dumped, I was exhausted after and had to lay down and rest big time!
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/11 3:10 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Yep! I have suffered from insomnia since surgery, and I even eat some bread & jam at night so I can fall asleep! It sure works!
BugdocMom
on 11/3/11 4:30 pm - CA
When I have a "big" dump, caused by sugar, I basically pass out. I am lucky to make it to bed and wake up a couple of hours later. When I have a little dump, usually from too many carbs or sugar alcohols, I lay down on purpose to sleep it off for about 30 minute or so. That keeps me from barfing and sometimes from diarrhea, it also allows me to not suffer through the gastric pain. Neither happens regularly, but I am EXTREMELY dumpy so it's nice to not suffer through the full force of it sometimes.
waitingtoexhale69
on 11/4/11 3:17 am - IL
Sorry that happened, just a week ago i wanted to have one of my favorite desserts from Coopers Hawk Resteraunt but i thought about the horror stories i heard and i didn't go and get it.  I'm glad i didn't have it in the house, what a temptation.  I am scared to death of dumping.

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/11 3:37 am
That's totally how I feel pretty often if I eat something I shouldn't.  I get nauseated and sweaty and weak feeling... so I do and lie down.  I inevitably fall asleep in a few minutes and then wake up within 20-30 minutes, feeling absolutely fine.

It stinks... trust me that once you know this happens to you, you will be VERY CAREFUL with what you eat and drink when you're not at home.  I had an episode once where I was out and couldn't lie down and it was miserable... wanted to die.  

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!  ;)

tori
(deactivated member)
on 11/4/11 3:39 am
Oh, also wanted to point out that sometimes it's not even eating inappropriate stuff that causes that reaction.  For example, if I eat a whole Quest protein bar at one time, or eat too much too quickly, I get the same way.

I am uber-careful to only eat meats and cheese when I'm out... I know with thoseI'm pretty safe.  If any carbs are thrown into the mix (even light breading on something), I can never be sure of how my body is going to take it!

tori
nfarris79
on 11/4/11 11:38 am - Germantown, MD
 Yep, every dumping episode has ended with me curled up in fetal position in bed for 30min to 2hrs. And feeling like a wreck for the rest of the day. I don't have that kind of time to waste.....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.