Just starting out

atennessen
on 11/15/11 10:41 am - TN
RNY on 04/03/12
I just had my surgical consult...I'm so excited about this new chapter of my life.  The surgeon thinks I'm a great candidate for RNY and actually recommended it.  I have to do a 90 surgical prep program for my insurance and the first visit is Dec. 1 so I'm hoping to have a surgery date for spring, since my 90 days will be up the first of Feb. 

Any recommendations or advice you can give me will be much appreciated.
Anita

A new beginning!            
Terrilmk
on 11/15/11 10:48 am - SC
 Welcome and good luck.  I'm scheduled 2 weeks from today.  I'll save you a place on the losers bench.
 HW 240 SW 224 CW 167          
JG1234
on 11/15/11 11:08 am - IL

Congrats to you.... I had to complete a 6 mnth doctor monitored program required through insurance. My surgery date is scheduled for Dec 14th.

You can find plenty of tips on this site. So welcome and good luck

Rdy4change11
on 11/15/11 12:13 pm - GA
Congrats on your decision!  Dr. Williams is wonderful!  As you can see, I had my surgery last week with him and have been doing good.  Just make sure you do what they require and stay on top of the office to get what you need.  Good luck with everything!
BrinaD
on 11/15/11 9:40 pm - Kaiserslautern Military Community, Germany

I know how you feel. I had my consult 17 October for lap-band. Imagine my surprise when the surgeon recommended RNY instead. I just signed up here myself and am seeing so much information. There's information here ranging from questions to ask your doctor to what to take to the hospital during your surgery. Lots of things i never thought to ask get answered.  Take your time and look around and from what I can see, all of these folks are here to help. Best of luck to you and hope to talk to you again soon!  

Sibrena

Live, Love, Laugh   

Paula F.
on 11/16/11 10:03 am - Rochester Hills , MI
Tidbits... I decided to start addressing some of my trigger foods early on, so I didn't have to eliminate all right at surgery date.  I first gave up all caffiene.  I then eliminated all soda.  I eliminated as much sugar as I could next.  A few months before surgery, I started experimenting with protein powders and drinking a shake/smoothie for breakfast every day as I was never a breakfast person, but would need to be for the nutrition and liquids after surgery.  Last, I replaced lunch with a shake so when it came time to do the liquid diet that my surgeon required to shrink the liver prior to surgery all I would need to eliminate at that point would be dinner.  I personally felt this made the transition for me much easier and didn't feel deprived all at once.

Now, I rarely drink decaf coffee and when I do I add protein powder.  I still have a protein shake/smoothie for breakfast every morning because it is fast, easy, and convenient for me to drink in the car while on my way to work.  I try to mindfully enjoy it.

I also tried to up my exercise as any weight you can lose and cardiac improvement you can make is going to help you be in better shape for the surgery and the recovery.

My best to you,
Paula
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 260 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?