Zzzzz

iowa_missie74
on 11/30/11 4:11 am - IA
I am so tired! I am 2 months post op RNY and for the last few days I have not been able to stay awake. I force myself to stay awake during the day but then by 6pm I am ready for bed. I have been taking all of my vitamins...Iron, B12, Calcium chews, Multi Vitamin. I was told by my nutritionist that one protien drink a day would be sufficient because of my height (5ft). I have been making a shake with 2 scoops of protien powder in 16 oz of milk and getting that down without problems. Thought maybe it was lack of protien, but I just have no idea...any suggestions? Thanks all.

Sara L.
on 11/30/11 4:35 am
I think dehydration can make you sleepy, I think carb intake can make you sleepy and I think not enought protein can make you sleepy.  Sleep apnea can also make you sleepy during the day.
How's your water intake?  Are you using a sublingual B-12 supplement?  There are all kinds of variables now, it's amazing how one little thing can lay you low.
My dietician wants me to get at least 80 grams of protein a day, I'm 5'8" and some days I can do this with food, some days I need to add a protein shake or some greek yogurt with added unflavored protein.  I use myfitnesspal to track my protein and calorie intake so I know how many grams I take in per day.  My goal protein amount was figured by dividing my goal weight in half....  If I step up my exercise to more than an hour per day I might have to increase the protein and calorie intake.  
My dietician asked me to limit my protein shakes to 30 grams of protein, she doesn't think more than that is processed by our bodies at one time.  I have done some research, and this seems to be the number floating around....30 grams of protein at a time.  More than that can have a negative effect on our kidneys and other bodily functions.  
You might check how much protein is in your shake, and divide it out throughout the day for optimum benefit.  My protein has 25 grams of protein per scoop, and then the skim milk has some too.  Did your dietician give you a protein quota for each day? 
I hope you can figure out what's got you in sleep mode!
Sara in Maui

Dave Chambers
on 11/30/11 5:02 am - Mira Loma, CA
You don't mention any lab results in your post. I'd guess your B12 is likely low, around 500 or so. You should have 900-1000 for B12 levels.  Get 75g of protein daily, either through foods alone, or foods and protein supplements.  Fatigues is a common issue for many post ops as you get used to the new postop lifestyle. But you should keep taps on your labs to make sure those are optimum. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

steve D.
on 11/30/11 5:04 am - West Fargo, ND
Do you count your protein?  If not you should.  We need approximately 1 gram of protein for every 2.2 pounds.  So if you weigh 220 pounds, you would need 100 grams of protein.  Also, make sure you get at least 64 ounces of water, liquid, etc.  Exercise increases your metabolism and will help with the fatigue.

I remember having fatigue then too on some days.  It went away. 

Good Luck
Steve

Jamie B.
on 11/30/11 5:54 am, edited 11/30/11 5:55 am - MI
Strange...I'm 11 wks out today...and I've had the same issues for the last 2 weeks. I had my blood drawn a couple days ago and expect that something is off...the first month I was bouncing off the walls! Only labs will tell! Let me know if you hear something different, please? Thanks!! 
Jamie        
iowa_missie74
on 11/30/11 8:34 am - IA
The doctor said that my caloric intake was too low...that a person needs about 800 calories to even be able to walk upright...she also said that I am probably at a stand still with my weight because my body is using my reserves and keeping me where I am. She also told me to go back to using my sleep apnea machine and see if that helps. Thanks everyone for your input...I do feel like my labs should have been checked, but I do have an appt for that in a couple of weeks.

lilbear412
on 11/30/11 9:33 am - MN
 ohhh you stopped using your cpap...if i am tired that is my first thought process.  and yes if your not getting enough calories then your body is taking what it needs from other areas..some think little food is all you need when in actuality in order to lose weight you probably need more calories..and when i work i knwo i have lots of energy..when i don't and am home i seem to drain much quicker.  This tells me exercise gives energy.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

iowa_missie74
on 12/1/11 12:03 am - IA
Yeah, was stupid of me to stop using my CPAP...and I never even thought about that being why I could be tired, my bf mentioned it and said I have been snoring more...slept with it last night, I guess I need to get used to it again, it only stayed on for a few hours. I go to the Y 5 days a week for exercise...walking and weights, plus the eliptical and that does give me tons of energy...for a few hours. Enough to clean then I'm pooped! I don't really agree that I need more calories...maybe certain days, but not every day.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 46 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views