stool softener

westwoodbob
on 12/2/11 12:06 pm - Olympia, WA
I got home from my surgery today. The Dr had given me a perscription for a stool softener. It is a jell capsule. I took a look at it and thought it might get stuck. I took some scissors and cut it open and tried sucking down the content (I w ill never try that again it had the worst taste.) Can anyone comment on taking jell taps or other pills getting stuck.

How long should I expect for a BM

dori M.
on 12/2/11 12:20 pm - MD
I didn't have any bathroom troubles that first week pre op. My issues started at the end of week 2. I started taking Dulcolax gel tab(small red pill) stool softener. I'm suprised ur doctor would advise you to take pills immediately following surgery. Have you considered taking Miralax? It's a disolving powder you mix with ur drinks.
Oxford Comma Hag
on 12/2/11 12:26 pm
I second Dori's suggestion. I take a preventative dose of Miralax every day in my herbal tea.  I actually buy the generic version at Rite Aid, but it works just the same.

Give yourself a couple of weeks. The pills will get easier to swallow the farther out you get. If you need immediate relief, suppositories work well.
A. C
on 12/2/11 12:56 pm
the pharmacist that counseled me before leaving hospital said that gel caps with liquid, you poke a hole in or cut open and let the liquid go into some juice or water etc

if it has solids/powder in it, you let that dissolve in the water/juice and then down it
facethemusic
on 12/2/11 1:30 pm
If you're going to take a gel cap poke a hole in it first, but don't suck the contents out.  I would take Miralax daily to keep things regular.  You can get the generic on sale @ Rite Aid right now pretty cheap.  Stool softeners don't really make you go they just make it easier when you do go.  If youre constipated then you may need something a little longer.  Also, Ive found stool softeners work better when you follow them with a glass of warm water.  Don't ask me why it works but it does.  One way I can guarantee I'll poop is to actually drink a glass of warm apple juice.  In 20 minutes I'm in the bathroom.  My daughter is the same way.
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

mandajolyn
on 12/2/11 3:34 pm - Tallahassee, FL
I was taking pills 24 hours after surgery! Many did as well! If you feel you can't swallow them, you can use Miralax which is a tasteless powder you can dissolve in anything like water or soup! I take stool softeners no problem, never had an issue with them getting stuck because if the gel tablet form. The only pill i ever took that got stuck was vicodin because of it's size, but I havent had any issues swallowing pills, i just take them one at a time!Stool softeners don't make you go, they make it easier to go! Try to stay clear of the stimulant pills, they can cause cramping and your body can become dependant on them. I take colace or the generic form every night, 2-3 of them per night. I also use Miralax once or twice a day, I put it in my sf drink, water or coffee and I can't taste it in there. That may be easier for you if you can't swallow the pill. It allows your body to pass stool more comfortably and I usually have a bowel movement the following day after taking something! Make sure you're getting in tons of fluids, you don't want to be overly backed up, it could cause serious issues! I've had pretty bad constipation issues and have had problems and damage done because of it. If you feel like you have to go but can't or feel the stool is hard, a glycerine suppository works well! And again makes going much more comfortable!
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

ElleBW
on 12/3/11 2:50 am - WA
I have a prescription medication that comes in a gel cap and tastes nasty! I put it in warm water and keep an eye on it. In a few minutes it starts to warp, which means the gel is about ready to pop. Stick it in and swallow with warm water and no problems! I tried Miralax which was okay and Senekot which was a small enough pill and had no problems with those.

Be careful at first! Everyone is different, but after I got home and "things" started moving again it went the opposite way until I began eating food again. Give your body some time to recover from surgery.

Good luck!

Elle BW
Be kinder than necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some sort of battle.                                                                                        
                                                                                               Paulo Coelho    

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 343 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 180 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 268 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?