6 weeks out...I feel terrible..is this normal???

newbie38
on 12/27/11 5:43 am
Hello...I just joined.  I had my surgery on 11/11/11 and my doctor released me to eat  "whatever" I want except no tomatos a few weeks ago....I just can't do it. I am lucky to eat one to two spoons of soft food each day.  I do all the supplements however I have such a hard time with protein...I am not hungry and actually the smell of food often makes me sick to my stomach.  I am worried though because mentally I know I need food to live and I know I am not eating much each day??  Can anyone relate??  Is this how it is supposed to be?  I know it has only been 6 weeks..I just need reassurance that I am not going to feel like this forever and that the lead weight feeling in my stomach will go away and I will be able to tolerate some food at some point.  I have lost 38lbs thus far.  I just need some advice/encouragement from all of you who have already gone thru this. 
Thanks so much
LBinSC0712
on 12/27/11 5:57 am
Sounds pretty normal to me.  The vitamins, the protein and the liquid are the most important things to get in right now.   I could not take the protein in the beginning but I found out that adding the vanilla protein powder to my coffee was the ticket.  it just takes some time to get used to this new way of life.  Take it slow , it will come and the weight will go!

newbie38
on 12/27/11 7:00 am
Thank you for your comment...I am really just trying to make sure I am progressing "normally"....I feel like I will never want to or be able to eat any food again.  I have tried some foods and it either sits in my stomach and hurts or I end up throwing it back up.  It almost reminds me of when I was pregnant(which I am definately not now)...it reminds me of the morning sickness...my stomach is just always hurting and upset.  I just need to know there is light at the end of this tunnel.  I sat at work today and tried to drink my protein drink..no go....a few sips and I was sick.  I got in two bites of soft food and that was all my stomach would tolerate.  I don't ever expect to go back to my old ways...but I just want to know that someday I will be able to eat something healthy and keep it down and not have a stomach ache.  I am hoping this is a common feeling and that it is normal to feel the way I do.  Weightloss wise I am doing well.  I didn't have to do a pureed stage and I was able to eat part of a scrambled egg when allowed but now I can't.  Can anyone say around what month they started to feel better????  I keep thinking if I can make it to the 6 month mark I will feel better....
BWB
on 12/27/11 7:15 am
It is just a hunch that you may of needed a more cautious diet to begin with. Everyone has a different program. My diet was a liquid, full liquid for one week, pureed week 2 thru week 3, 4 thru 7 was soft food, and from week 8 was solid food but with instructions to listen to you body and stop when you feel full. Only you can tell if, for instance, you aren't ready for salads. Wait a week or two to try it again.

newbie38
on 12/27/11 7:50 am
I thought that also..I thought maybe my Doctor is too easy on the diet and my stomach just can't handle it.  At first it seemed like everything was going to be easy but now I just am turned off by food..and I have the ABSOLUTE worst breath......my mouth tastes terrible and that I think helps my stomach to ache even more.  I am just uninterested in food.  I am hoping to be able to tolerate food by 6 to 9 mos! 
lk7777
on 12/27/11 8:24 am - Blue Springs, MO
boy do I know how you feel. Im 11 mo. out and its much better now.
newbie38
on 12/27/11 1:56 pm
Not that I want anyone to feel how I am now..but it is good to hear you say you understand how I feel..its also good to hear you say that at 11mos out you feel so much better....its scary to think I could feel this way for good!! Around what month did you start to feel better???? 
UK_Longhorn
on 12/27/11 5:17 pm
I had my surgery one day before you  and since I am in the UK, my surgeon says he uses a slightly different technique and makes the pouch opening alittle wider than most in order to make for faster recovery.  That being said I am eating very normal at my six weeks.  I have lost 31 lbs.  I would suggest speaking to your doc or your nutrien.  I know we all recovery at our own pace but if you are concerned that is what the professionals are there for!  They got a lot of money for you being their patient, so make them earn it!  Always better to be safe than sorry in my opinion. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 212 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views