TMI, Constipation

xtine
on 1/1/12 12:22 pm - San Jose, CA
Since surgery I am super constipated every day. I feel like the increase in protein is messing up my usually very regular movements. I have been taking stool softener at my surgeons advice and it really isn't helping. I asked my surgeon about taking mirilax daily but he suggested the softener instead.

What are some ways you deal with this? I think I am going to buy some Mirilax and take it daily.. I strain so much that it sometimes makes me bleed.. it hurts

Please help!!

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

april89love
on 1/1/12 12:35 pm - NC
I take fiber and magnesium everyday. Sometimes I also add in miralax.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

poet_kelly
on 1/1/12 12:40 pm - OH
I take Miralax and magnesium oxide every day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

xtine
on 1/1/12 1:25 pm - San Jose, CA
Thanks ladies. I think I will try a combo of all those.. I have the magnesium citrate, same stuff I used for bowel prep.. maybe I should take a shot of that every now and again.

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

Ladytazz
on 1/1/12 4:27 pm
Magnesium oxide comes in a tablet.  I take 500 mg twice a day.  Also, I found the Miralax doesn't help much if I don't use it regularly.  It didn't seem to do much good to take it once in a while.  Stool softeners didn't do a things for me.  Make sure you are getting enough fiber.  Benefiber is good for that.  And if it is really bad take Milk of Magnesis for pretty fast relief.  I would use that before I used the bowel prep stuff but you couldn't pay me to take that stuff again if I didn't have to.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

credregal
on 1/1/12 10:28 pm - Galveston, TX
Phillips stool softner worked for me. It is stimulant and cramp free. Ducolax.gave me severe stomach cramps,i hated that stuff.

Kat Kat
on 1/1/12 11:33 pm - AZ
Make sure you find a way to make it easier to go without straining.    I now have severe hemorrhoids which are really painful due to toughing it out. My PCP has me scheduled to see a
Colo-rectal surgeon because the only way to really fix them at this stage is to have surgery. Kelly turned me on to Miralax, and it's wonderful. Now I take the max dose of stool softeners, and add Miralax if I feel even the slightest resistance. I add a cap full to my daily protein shake,and it's so tasteless, you'd never know it was there.

Good Luck on this one, I really have empathy for you on this.
Kat

BoomerSooner1
on 1/2/12 12:24 am
 3 weeks out and having problems already. Have started Miralax and it appears to be helping. Be prepared. It's not cheap.
 Don't ask me how we lost to Baylor.  I can't figure it Out either!            
kcooley11
on 1/2/12 12:42 am - CA
 I take the Fiber Choice, Sugar free chewable tabs. 3 tabs, 3x daily. I was still hard to go but I was def going! Are you still on pain med? This will significantly contribute to your constipation.
-Kim
princess_raspberry
on 1/2/12 12:43 am
Colace wasn't helping me, so I tried Miralax and it worked wonders. I take a normal dose every other day. I don't want to get bowel dependent on it and am hoping that adding more fiber later on will help me.
HW 394 | SW 330 | CW 270 | GW 150
preop [64]  month 1 [32]  month 2 [10]  month 3 [18]

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 338 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?