Who had to do 6 mos Medically Supervised Weight Loss?

Long2bLittle
on 1/13/12 2:25 am - Wayland, MI
DS on 04/17/12
 How many of you that have already had the surgery have had to do the 6 mos of medically supervised weight loss?  My insurance has it as one of their criteria.  I did this for over a year, but its now been a year since I was last in the program, so now I may have to do it again.  Really, kind of bothers me, but if I have to I have to.
poet_kelly
on 1/13/12 2:29 am - OH
Thank goodness, I didn't. 

Check with your insurance to see if you have to do it again.  Maybe they'll take the notes on the old one.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jc75035
on 1/13/12 2:31 am - TX
My insurance needed 6 nutritionist visits in the previous 24 months and, as I am a diabetic I used my diabetic nutritionist visits.

labmom97
on 1/13/12 2:32 am - Romeoville, IL
I Had to, but an exception was made for me since my insurance was changing to a TERRIBLE insurance at the beginning of the year. And my GP knew I did weigh****chers previous so they talked with my insurance and got the ok to document my old Weigh****chers records (Which were less then a year old) and I had 4 months instead of 6 months to do.  I had to weigh in monthly with my GP and do blood work along with seeing a dietitian and a psych.  When my 4 months was up I got the OK to see the Surgeon who gave me his "packet of things to do" and less then 1.5 weeks later I had my surgery date.    But like I said, I had an issue with insurance and the people who all worked with me we WONDERFUL!!! 
~Jill        
Long2bLittle
on 1/13/12 2:34 am - Wayland, MI
DS on 04/17/12
 I did check with my insurance and they are saying it needs to be consecutive months before the WLS.  I am hoping that my bariatric doctor office can work some magic.  My BMI is over 50 and they said sometime the insurance will waive the supervised weight loss.

I won't know for sure until my first appointment with the bariatrician, which is not until Feb. 2nd!  :-(  Now that I have made up my mind to do this, I just want to keep the ball rolling.
Lee D.
on 1/13/12 2:50 am - MA
I had to do it with CIGNA.  It was actually pretty easy and fit into the UMASS program well.  Remeber you can always ask if the previously met 6 month would qualify. 

Good Luck

jkay05
on 1/13/12 3:16 am
I had to do 12 mos consecutive dr supervised. And Im not a patient person. I had previous but it wasnt consecutive so I had to start over and just ck in with dr once a month. Document that in the past I had tried various wl options..blah blah..It was a long yr. So be glad it's only 6 mos. But when my last month was documented I was approved within 2 wks and I didnt even know I was sent off for approval.LOL

Michelle E.
on 1/13/12 3:42 am
Okay, call me a debbie downer.. but the 6 mos supervised diet.. helped me lose 60 pounds before surgery..It helped me evaluate the WHY I was obese etc. Actually, the support alone I could use again.. I would do it all over again. If my insurance allowed me, I would enter a program today. I reached my goal weight and have maintained it but there is nothing like reinforcment and peer support.

Michelle
Lori320
on 1/13/12 8:02 am
Michelle,

I agree with you whole heartedly!!! When I was told that I had to lose 10% of my body weight (40 lbs) along with several visits to a nutritionist I was so not happy. My thought was why do I have to lose weight to have WLS??!!?? But I am so glad that I had to go thru the process. It totally prepares you for your post surgery journey.

If you can't adhere to a plan pre-op, how you gonna adhere post-op? Just my thought.....

Lori
Highest Weight 403

Michelle E.
on 1/13/12 8:49 am
Lori,

Its unfortunate that not everyone gets much out of the 6 mos pre-surgery program. I have Kaiser and the nutritional counseling is still something I refer back to all the time.

Michelle
Most Active
Recent Topics