How to take calcium

westwoodbob
on 1/15/12 10:34 pm - Olympia, WA
What is the best way to take calcium. I think I remember we are not to take it with other pills, is that true?

seashell6417
on 1/15/12 10:37 pm - Gaylord, MN
Do not take it within two hours of taking your iron.  The calcium will block the absorption of your iron. 
Tami

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 1/15/12 11:06 pm
I take my vits and B-12 in the morning, calcium is lunch time, dinner time and bedtime. Spread out thoughout the day and not with vits.
(deactivated member)
on 1/15/12 11:19 pm
I take my calcium morning, noon and early evening. Never at night because that is when I take my iron.
poet_kelly
on 1/16/12 12:33 am - OH
 You can take it with other pills.  Just dont' take it with iron because the calcium blocks iron from being absorbed.

Take it in doses of about 500 mg (that's all we can absorb at a time) and you need three or four doses a day.

Make sure you have calcium citrate, not calcium carbonate or tricalcium phosphate.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cherish F.
on 1/16/12 12:47 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi -
I'm sure this has been answered, and I'm sorry if it has.
Calcium citrate vs. carbonate. Carbonate doesn't absorb for us right?
Does this apply if I take chewable calcium carbonate?

I've been more off the boards than on for the past 6 months (main board scares me) and just started coming in here last week. So much more pleasant!

Anyway, at some point I convinced myself that Viactiv chewable calcium (carbonate) is ok.
Am I sabotaging myself?
Thanks,
 Cherish
Consult Weight/ Surgery Weight/Current Weight/  Goal Weight, Reached 4/7/11!!
     294                     286.5                     165.5                     164

Full abdominoplasty & Breast Reduction/Lift - 4/9/12!

Even miracles take a little time. ~ Cinderella

DisneyLover
on 1/16/12 2:13 am - WI
it doesn't matter what form the carbonate is in, we don't absorb it.  it is the 'genetic makeup' of the pill, not how it is presented.

Sarah

poet_kelly
on 1/16/12 5:31 am - OH
No carbonate absorbs for us.  If you take Viactive, you are getting almost no calcium (you'll absorb about 4% of it, so if you eat 60 Viactive a day, you might get enough).

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 1/16/12 5:31 am - OH
And oh, the main board is scary!  But we are pretty nice here.

Cherish F.
on 1/16/12 5:52 am - Philadelphia, PA
Yes, you guys are! I'm having a much better time over here.
i don't feel like I will be mocked for asking a question, or attacked fro answering one.

Will be shoppign for calcium citrate tomorrow.
Thanks for the info!
 Cherish
Consult Weight/ Surgery Weight/Current Weight/  Goal Weight, Reached 4/7/11!!
     294                     286.5                     165.5                     164

Full abdominoplasty & Breast Reduction/Lift - 4/9/12!

Even miracles take a little time. ~ Cinderella

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 345 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 226 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views