Teeth problems since surgery

ktaborelli
on 2/7/12 3:06 am - Hampton, NJ
 I am almost 5 months out from RNY and this morning a piece of my front tooth broke off while I was on the phone. I was not eating anything and did not hit it. Has anyone had issues with teeth since wls? My hubbt thinks it could mean I am lacking calcium...my surgeon does not do blood wor****il 6 months out.

Kim S.
on 2/7/12 3:15 am - Helena, AL

While it isn't impossible, it is likely not due to a deficiency this early out...however, if you suspect a deficiency, get them to do labs now....the last thing you want is to try to correct a deficiency...stop it before it starts.

Are you taking the correct calcium?  In the recommended amount?  (I have to take 1,500 mg taken in 500 mg increments 3x a day just in my calcium supplement).

dianabelle12
on 2/7/12 4:04 am
I was gonna ask you the same thing,make sure your getting enough calcium!

Dee.spunk
on 2/7/12 5:25 am - Sacramento, CA
Make sure you're getting calcium citrate, not carbonate.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

myminime
on 2/7/12 5:26 am - Eugene, OR
oh oh oh! I kept meaning to post something like this but forgot

I had surgery in November, and my first cleaning post surgery was last month. It sucked. Horribly. My gums were sooooo sensitive and I had way more plaque than normal.

I discussed this with the dentist - part of it was my slacking off on my vitamins. The rest is that since we don't drink right after meals, it tends to have food sitting on your teeth longer than perhaps it would have before. I always drank a TON with my meals, so that was a huge change. I wasn't chewing gum nearly as often either, since the air would bug my pouch tremendously, so again - food sitting on my teeth.

Now, I chew gum after eating just to get the stuff off my teeth, and I've switched to a prescription strength fluoride toothpaste. And I'm supposed to rinse twice a day with a high fluoride mouthwash but I'm really bad about that.

Anyway - my dentist makes those recommendations to anyone having WLS because of the impact that it can have on our teeth.

Interesting!
HW:  255  SW:  225.7  CW:  156.3

ktaborelli
on 2/7/12 10:37 am - Hampton, NJ
 Thank you for the post. This is the first anyone has said anything about wls having an impact on teeth!. I also have not been taking calcium because my doc felt that I was getting enough with my multi. I went out and bought some cal. citrait tonight.

poet_kelly
on 2/7/12 2:45 pm - OH
He thought you would get enough with your multi?!  Oy!  We need 1500-2000 mg according to the ASMBS and you won't get that in any multi.

In addition to getting labs done, make sure you get your bone density scan at one year out to make sure you haven't experience any bone loss.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rbb825
on 2/8/12 1:53 pm - Suffern, NY
I can't believe you were told you are getting enough calcium in your multi?  that is absurb.  First off, multis have calcium carbonate which we don't absorb and they have like 200mg which what would that do.  We need 1500-2000 mg per day in 3-4 daily doses no more than 650mg per dose and not within 2 -4 hours of your iron or thyroid medications.  Make sure it is calcium citrate - citrical is a good option over the counter - either maximums 5-6 per day  (2 at a time)  or petites - 8-10 per day (3 at a time)

What else are you taking?  You should be taking a multi 2 times per day - centrum silver is a great option. 
Dry Vitamin D3 - atleast 10,000-15,000 units per day or 50,000 units a few times per week depending on your labs. 
B12 - sublingual minimum 1000mcg daily many need much more or montly injections to start and many needmore often. 
Iron with vitamin C - carbonyl iron with C - minimum of 60-120mg of carbonyl iron - 200mg of C per 30mg of iron.
vitamin b1 - 100mg daily

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 480 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 481 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 325 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 356 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 68 views