sweet potatoe ideas and receipes please

grmadeb01
on 2/15/12 11:19 pm - FL
ok, i am about 11 months post op and i am missing my potatoes, my white taters.....so i bought 3 sweet potatoes....now what do i do with them? i still make my hubby fried taters with the skins on, but was thinking i would try and the sweet ones..i use olive oil and not much....when i make my hubby his taters, i usually get one or two little hunks just to give me a taste...i have had a couple bites of mashed taters also....but i am trying to get off the white ones...

so what all do you do with your sweet taters? besides mashed?  along time ago i had a baked sweet tater from a restaurant and to be honest it was NASTY, but that was well over 2 years ago....i didnt really baked white taters as they would make my sugar spike really bad (pre op) and i have not even had a bite of a baked tater, have no desire either...

so if you have any great ideas for the sweet taters, i have 3 of them to try..
thanks so much
debby
Nicole T.
on 2/15/12 11:33 pm
i make fries w/ them. they never get crisp like white potatoes but if you broil them at the end to get a dark crust they are quite good. just cut them the size of fries, mix them w/ some olive oil, salt, pepper, spices to taste. many people like adding spicy stuff to it cuz of the sweetness of the potatoes. bake them at 400 degrees, stirring every ten minutes until done.
grmadeb01
on 2/15/12 11:45 pm - FL
do you take the skin off or leave on? my parent have a restuarant and they had some sweet tater fries but they were made in the fryer..i have seen some of the waffle fries that are sweet taters too..but i try to stay away from processed items...when i make my fried taters, i wash them very well with soap and water and leave the skin on...so just treat the sweet ones like a regular tater?

thanks
debby
Nicole T.
on 2/16/12 12:53 am
yup i sometimes leave them on. it depends on you. if you like the skin, keep it on. made in the fryer tastes great but isn't very healthy lol. i actually like them better in the oven because i can get them carmelized a little by browning them.
Kenochs84
on 2/16/12 12:59 am, edited 2/16/12 1:01 am - PA
RNY on 01/03/12
I too have made sweet potato fries and they are delish! I saw a tip on tv where they suggest you take your baking sheet and put it in the oven first and let it warm up. Then once it's nice and hot, put your fries on the pan and bake. I seasoned mine with splenda brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, salt, and cayene. They were a bit spicy...next time I might not be so heavy handed! :)
Mary B.
on 2/16/12 1:06 am - Southern, MD
I like them baked with splenda and butter spray. That is easy.

I also have a crinkle cutter like this one. Heat the oven to 425. Slice up the potatoes with the crinkle cutter. Lay the slices out, side by side flat on a cookie sheet. I like to line mine with the nonstick Reynolds wrap so I dont have to use any spray. Spray each 'chip' with one spray of I Cant believe its Not butter spray. Sprinkle with splenda and cinnamon. I like salt as well. Bake for about 12 minutes. Flip them over and season the other side and bake for another 12 minutes or so.

Love these.

Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

losing-jennifer
on 2/16/12 1:36 am
google "roasted sweet potatoes".  So yummy.  Roasting enhances the flavor and brings out the sweetness. 
Jen
HW 254  SW 242  CW 148
**Down 106 pounds from highest weight!**

KatCooper
on 2/16/12 2:04 am - Collierville, TN
 I just bake them and eat them plain.  Once I stopped using a lot of sweeteners and eating deserts, I could really taste the natural sweetness in food.  I also occasionally eat a plain baked potato- very small amount after I get most of my protein in.

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

JerseyJim
on 2/16/12 2:11 am - Sayre, PA
Do a search on Bariatric Foodie  http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/.  Nik has some great recipes for sweet potatoes (SP pancakes, SP pie, SP frittata, etc.).

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

Mandy R.
on 2/16/12 7:21 am - Callahan, FL
thanks for posting about this, I love sweet potatoes and cant wait to try some of these recipes :)

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

Most Active
Recent Topics