Stall. To mess with it or wait it out??

AmberLee72
on 4/17/12 4:22 am
So here I am again...worrying that my weightloss has stopped or their is something wrong with me.(I am almost 10 months post op) I had my gallbladder out 3 1/2 weeks ago and have not lost any weight since. I lost 15lbs the month before so I wonder if my body is just catching up or do I need to switch things around to get my body moving again. Someone suggested eating nothing but protein for 2 days then up the carbs on the third day to see if it breaks the stall. What do you all think?
Amber L.
on 4/17/12 4:29 am - Sweden
 I hit a NASTY stall at the 3 month mark, but we just had SO much going on that I couldn't stress it.  It lasted about 5-6 weeks.  Now that the scale is moving again, I feel so much better, but I don't regret not stressing it.  I kept doing what I was supposed to be doing, but didn't get crazy.  

Regardless, stalls suck.  Please don't let it get you down.  Look at how GREAT you are doing!  I want that swimsuit, by the way.  

(I always like meeting Ambers I have a lot in common with.  ;) )
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

mamisita
on 4/17/12 4:30 am - CA
I've been struggling with the same thing! I'm only a little over three months out but the last month has been the same. :(
badkitten
on 4/17/12 5:30 am
I am in a big stall too - I am 6 months out and damn it. I am tracking my calories, working out everyday, drinking my water, getting my protein......WTF?!?!?!
I was just about to post a thread about this......cuz it is frustrating - I have no idea what to do let alone what to tell you....LOL!!!
Hope yours breaks soon!!!

christinalee
on 4/17/12 6:14 am - At Home in, NH
Amber, you are close to your goal. As a lower weighted person you need less calories to maintain your weight and you literally can't have huge caloric deficits every day just by eating less (and remain healthy and vibrant), so the weight loss will slow down (wasn't the 15 pounds kind of an abberation in the previous month?).

That being said, I don't think you are done losing, but I think you need to re-evaluate your journey and how it is going to continue as you get closer to goal. I expect that your weight loss will slow dramatically, and unless you take drastic action to up your calorie burn daily (through exercise and increasing your lean body mass), each pound you lose will take longer and longer to come off. But I think it will come off....most certainly. You've shown the tenacity and dogged dermination to stick with it, so I think that you will continue on to goal.

So it depends on what you want, now doesn't it? If all you want to do is get to a certain number on the scale, then it's doable, but you'll probably have to eat less and less to do it. That's scientific fact, you need less calories to maintain a lighter body weight. But if you are willing to up your exercise and increase your lean body mass and become a better energy expender, you probably can continue to lose weight without sacrificing too many calories.

Oh, and I don't think there's any harm in trying different tactics to find out what may or may not work for you. 'Cause if what you try doesn't work, you're not going to throw yourself down on the floor and have a tantrum are you? I mean you'll say, "hey that didn't work, let me try something else." So why not try nutrient cycling or calorie cycling, but understand too that it's probably not going to throw you into a frenzy of high weight loss numbers, but it may serve to shake up your system to stimulate further loss.

Your journey has been remarkable so far, but take time to remember those stories and histories of those who post here who have have lost 150+ pounds. Those last pounds require effort and time...there just is no way to race to goal. Of course as I type that, I'm sure there are some folks on this board who did just that. But I think the majority who've lost 150+ pounds agree that it's just a dogged and determined journey....forever.

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

seattledeb
on 4/17/12 6:42 am
 Excellent post. Couldn't have said it better myself.
I also think anyone 3 weeks post surgery needs to stay off scales.

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/12 11:05 am - Boston, MA
 love your new pic!
Dee.spunk
on 4/17/12 6:53 am - Sacramento, CA
I think continue doing what you're supposed to do and excersice. Eventually it will break on its own.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/17/12 11:12 am - OH
Ditto what Christinalee said.  I would, however, add that you should consider how you FEEL about the stall and whether or not it will discourage you if you try to force the stall to break and it doesn't.  If you are going to be more anxious and discouraged and frustrated if you try to break it and you cannot, then waiting it out may be abetted approach.  If you can take action to TRY to break it and can mentally say "oh, well, at least I TRIED"  if it doesn't  work, then it certainly won't hurt to try.  I just hate to see people get overly anxious about stalls and then get even more worked up because nothing is helping to break it (even though they KNOW that sometimes you just don't have any choice but to wait it out).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

exohexoh
on 4/17/12 11:41 am - West Chester, PA
 i stalled pretty much from month 10 or so to 12. then dropped 10 pounds pretty much overnight, and haven't moved out of that 5 pound range since. it's been 6 months and i've been staying around 1200 cals a day and working out. it just won't budge. i definitely have lost inches since then though. if you aren't tracking that, start. (i didn't until i got measured for my bridesmaid's dress for my brothers wedding in maybe october?). my hips alone have gone down 3.5 inches and that was almost 3 weeks ago the last time i measured.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 7 views
Recent Topics