anyone have lab proof that carbonyl iron raised their ferritin

morriegrl71
on 4/17/12 10:24 pm, edited 4/17/12 10:54 pm
i have been doing alot of research on iron formulas and iron absorption. many people believe that carbonyl iron is absorbed better, in RNY patients, than ferrous sulfate or other formulas of iron.

has anyone raised their iron stores by using carbonyl iron after other oral forms did not. and without the help of IV iron.

thanks!

lisa
artroxy blue
on 4/18/12 2:17 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I'm not sure, but I was researching carbonyl iron, too, and saw it contains some calcium, which would defeat the purpose of taking the supplement, IMO. From what I've gathered on here, some people have had success with it, though. 

I'm hoping that my new birth control will help to lessen my heavy periods, and therefore, help with my iron stores. I'm going to be switching my iron to a chewable form (not BA) since it gave me serious heartburn...

I've also had the "iron talk" with my PCP, and I really want to avoid IV iron, too. 
poet_kelly
on 4/18/12 3:54 am - OH
Carbonyl iron does not contain calcium.  Carbonyl is all elemental iron.

Some brands of supplements that contain carbonyl iron may also contain small amounts of calcium as a filler, but typically not enough to block the absorption of the iron, which would indeed defeat the purpose of taking the supplement.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

artroxy blue
on 4/18/12 4:04 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Thanks for clarifying!  It seemed self-defeating to take it if calcium is present. LOL

I looked at a few brands, and noticed the calcium. I must not have paid enough attention to the amount of calcium present. 
rbb825
on 4/18/12 10:12 pm - Suffern, NY
I wrote another detailed you can read about carbonyl iron but I will repeat some of it for you - carbonyl iron shouldnt have vitamin C - not all carbonyl irons are the same - the best one out there are tender irons from vitalady.com - they are 60mg per capsule and come with the proper amount of vitamin C - 200mg per 30mg of iron.  they do come in a chewable - but they are 25mg each and you have to take a separate 200mg of vitamin C with each one.  I dont know how much you take now and how low your ferritin is, but most people with ferritin levels, take anywhere from 3-5 of the tender irons at bedtime and they work great.  They are known for working on ferritin levels - I take 3 per day and my ferritin is over 100.  the tender iron capsules can give you a bad taste in your mouth - but I take them at bedtime - so I dont taste it while sleeping.  By the morning it is gone but they work great and the only ones with the proper amount of vitamin C in them and no calcium - cant imagine why anyone would put calcium in an iron supplement

Have you ever considered using birth control to stop your period completely?  I did that many years ago preop when I had severe iron deficiency.  I needed IV iron I was so bad and couldnt afford to lose any blood.  First I took ortho evra tablets and instead of taking them for 3 weeks and having week off to get your period, I just started a new pack right away so, I was taking them continually. I did this for like 4 years.  Then when my GYN told me about the patch, I decided to switch because the pills were affecting my asthma.  The patch was the best.  You wear one on your abdomen for 1 week at a time - it is tiny and see through.  Then after a week you change it.  Then just like the pills, my doctor wrote the script for 4 instead of 3 - she had to get prior approval but she had no problem due to malabsorption and severe iron deficiency.  I loved the patch.  It really helped my iron levels back them too. Something to consider and talk to your GYN about.

artroxy blue
on 4/18/12 10:51 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Thanks for sharing! 

I'm always just below normal, and it has taken a while to get back to that after having my daughter last year. I'm going to get the Mirena IUD put in, and it has a small amount of birth control in it. I'm hoping that works better for me. I did take birth control in high school (and was fine) and freshman year of college, but I had a very bad reaction to the new birth control and having a doctor not believe me that I was having an adverse reaction. I took myself off of it and never went back to that doctor. 

I haven't had surgery yet, so I'm trying to get ahead of this before I have to have transfusions. 
nfarris79
on 4/18/12 3:22 am - Germantown, MD
 Here's what the ASMBS says about iron supplimentation:

Additional elemental iron (above that provided by mvi) Recommended for menstruating women and those at risk of anemia (total goal intake  50-100 mg elemental iron/d) — Add a minimum of 18–27 mg/d elemental   Begin with chewable or liquid Progress to tablet as tolerated Dosage may need to be adjusted based on biochemical markers No enteric coating Do not mix iron and calcium supplements, take 2 h apart Avoid excessive intake of tea due to tannin interaction Encourage foods rich in heme iron Vitamin C may enhance absorption of non-heme iron sources

Finally, decreased hydrochloric acid production in the stomach after RYGB [106] can affect the reduction of iron from the ferric (Fe3) to the absorbable ferrous state (Fe2). Notably, vitamin C, found in both dietary and supplemental sources, can enhance iron absorption of non-heme iron, making it a worthy recommendation for inclusion in the postoperative diet

Suggested supplementation. In addition to the iron found in two multivitamins, menstruating women and adolescents of both sexes may require additional supplementation to achieve a total oral intake of 50–100 mg of elemental iron daily, although the long-term efficacy of such prophylactic treatment is unknown [87,107]. This amount of oral iron can be achieved by the addition of ferrous sulfate or other preparations, such as ferrous fumarate, gluconate, polysaccharide, or iron protein succinylate forms. Those women who use oral contraceptives have significantly less blood loss and therefore may have lower requirements for supplemental iron. This is an important consideration during the clinical interview. The use of two complete multivitamins, collectively providing 36 mg of iron (typically ferrous fumarate) is customary for low-risk patients, including men and postmenopausal women. A history of anemia or a change in laboratory values may indicate the need for additional supplementation, in conjunction with age, sex, and reproductive considerations.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

nfarris79
on 4/18/12 3:26 am - Germantown, MD
 IMO, I think alot of people trend towards the carbonyl iron because it tends to not constipate as much. Really, it seems like the most important thing in choosing an iron is the amount of elemental iron it gives you - and if the different types block you up, how willing are you going to be compliant with taking it?

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

rbb825
on 4/18/12 9:59 pm - Suffern, NY
in order to absorb any of the ferrous irons, you need to have an enormous amount of acid in your stomach which we dont have (for the exact same reason we cant absorb calcium carbonate - you need alot of acid in your stomach) - the carbonyl irons dont need this= you still need to take it with vitamin C - 200mg per 30mg of iron but you can still take it with a PPI or post op RNY.  Many post ops take PPI's which totally supress the gastric acid and it is just the way RNY works, we end up with very little gastric acid which is why it is so successful in reducing reflux postop.

For the irons - carbonyl is know for increasing ferritin levels and heme iron is best for increasing your hemoglobin and hemacrit - so people that have problems with both, some take a combination of the 2 and that works great for them.

the recommended dosing for the iron from the bariatric society is very low  = I think almost all of us would severely anemic if we only took 27-36 mg of iron per day.  It is recommeded by most surgeons to start on atleast 60mg and some even higher -my surgeon/NUT start us on 120-180mg per day.

as far as carbonyl iron having calcium in it - I am not sure where you are getting it but the best formulation and the only one I have found with the proper proportion of iron and vitamin C is tender irons from vitalady.com - they are 60mg of carbonyl iron and 400mg of vitamin C per capsule. - if you look at the small print for other ingredients - basically fillers - gelatin, rice flour and magnesium stearate - no calcium.

I do not understand why anyone would put calcium in an iron supplement = that makes no sense.

the carbonyls do work.  I was in the hospital in the fall after kidney stone surgery and had lost an enormous amount of blood through urine for like 10 days - they let me take my own iron to try to get my levels up , after about 4 days, my iron was only 20.  I dont know my ferritin but that wouldnt be affected since it is iron storage.  Well, I took 3 of the tenders per day for 5 days and they rechecked my labs and my iron went from 20 to 100 in 5 days.  The stuff works.  I ended up needing a blood transfusion but avoided a IV iron which is good because I am allergic to it.  I have maintained my iron levels with the 3 per day and my ferritin levels are up in the low 100's.
the stuff works;

nfarris79
on 4/19/12 2:22 am, edited 4/19/12 2:25 am - Germantown, MD
Apparently your response is to a previous poster. I did not say anything about iron/calcium formulations. I'VE never seen that EITHER and certainly know enough not to take both together. So in the future, please reply to the person who originally says something that you have a bone to pick with, not to me. Thanks.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 128 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 109 views
Recent Topics