6 weeks out and

tjmgray
on 4/27/12 5:34 am - CA
RNY on 03/20/12
on to a regular food diet on Monday, I can't wait to eat some veggies and salad. I also go back to work on Wednesday and I am looking for ideas of food to take to eat during the day. I don't want to try new foods at work (just in case). The only food I have had trouble with is eggs and I haven't tried them again yet. I am going to check out bariatric foodie for some ideas to try, but suggestions from those that are back at work are greatly appreciated.

kathyshrinks
on 4/27/12 6:45 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
Congratulations!  

Just remember to take it slow as you introduce new foods.  This is good to remember when you are getting recipes from other WLS-ers.  Some of them are out several years, and their pouches are different that our newbie pouches.  Oh, and don't forget to track, track, track everything.  I use
www.myfitnesspal.com .  Other folks use other tools, or plain old paper and pencil.  I got ****y and stopped tracking for a few weeks, and I found out I was NOT getting enough protein.  Big mistake.

So, here are my go-to foods at work. 

First, protein shakes.  I find that I can still talk on the phone while I am drinking, but not so much while I am eating.  Also, taking a beverage to a meeting is appropriate, but taking food to a meeting usually is not.  If I try to EAT my snacks, they won't happen.  So I drink them.  

For lunches I like to have soups and chili that I make on the weekend and freeze in 1/2 cup portions.  I call them soup, but they are technically too think and chuky to be soup.  If they are too soupy, they don't have enough protein in them.  Tuna or chicken salad with (A FEW!) whole grain crackers is another good lunch.  I have a cafeteria at work, so I can always go there for a bunless garden burger, deli meat wrapped in lettuce, or a few slices of meat if they are serving roast beef or turkey.  I always keep instant oatmeal packets (unsweetened) and protein bars in my desk.

Here's a recipe for my favorite soup to freeze in portions and take for lunch.  It takes about 15 minutes to make, and it freezes really well:

Chipotle Chicken Soup
(all cans are 14-15 ounces, do not drain, just dump it all in)
3 cups cooked diced chicken breast
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
1 tablespoon of pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (open the can , whirl in the blender or food processor)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar
1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt

STATS per 1/2 cup serving: 10g protein, 2g fat, 9g carb, 3g fiber, 1.5g sugar

Let usw know what works at work for you!  I am always looking for new ideas, too.

tjmgray
on 4/27/12 8:22 am - CA
RNY on 03/20/12
 thanks for the recipe, I think I will make it this weekend and freeze it. It sounds great
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 298 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 253 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 323 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 150 views
Recent Topics