Need a little encouragement.

jujubee4224
on 5/16/12 4:41 am
RNY on 04/09/12
I am normally an upbeat person. I'm not always patient, but learning what I have about my RNY, I have been working on that too. But I am discouraged right now and need a little support. I had my RNY on 4/9 and I am roughly 5 weeks post op. I had lost 24 pounds as of a week ago and then the scale stalled. Yesterday, after increasing my fluids and calories the day before, (I usually average about 400-550 calories a day) I dropped another pound. Now this morning, I regained that pound. I walk for exercise but not much else. I have had bilateral knee replacements so some things are difficult for me. I have ordered a recumbent bicycle and hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow. What can I do to get the needle to move again? This is supposed to be my honeymoon period, the time of rapid weight loss and I'm sitting at 24 pounds off. Arghh! I don't want this to be the end of my weight loss, I'm no where near my goal weight of 130lbs. At this rate, it will be forever before I make it to Onderland.

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 5/16/12 4:48 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 I can't offer you the long view, since I had my surgery April 6 of this year. But I stalled for a week, and am losing slowly anyway. All I know is (knock wood) the pounds have gone down again.

It takes mind control to stop worrying about it and stop weighing so much. I cut back to weighing every two or three days--but by Day 3, I'm jonesing for the scale.

My stall broke after I, as you did, ate more calories and drank more water. I've lost slightly less than you post op, and have further to go, but I am not going to worry about it. We're not in control of how much weight we lose in a given time. We control what we eat, drink, and do. 

I have knee problems, too, and am lousy about exercise because it's so uncomfortable. Oh, sure, it feels good when you stop--but so doe****ting yourself with a hammer.

jujubee4224
on 5/16/12 5:17 am
RNY on 04/09/12
I know I shouldn't weigh every day but the scale is right under my bed and I pull it out every morning before showering. My brain tells me that I am doing ok but my heart says otherwise. I am in such a hurry to feel and look better. I guess I should get back to sipping. Maybe that will break the cycle. Thanks Dagne

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 5/16/12 4:57 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
I think you are doing fine , I didn't  loose for 2 weeks and then lost 3 next day up 3 , it is going to be whatever it is, it will happen!!!!
WE just have to be patient

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

manda2108
on 5/16/12 5:16 am
 I seem to stall for at least a week or a week and a half every month. I've tried putting the scale away but that doesn't work for me...I've come to the understanding that if I'm going to weigh everyday I need to be able to cope with the scale not moving and sometimes even "gaining" a pound. In the end I know I'm not eating anywhere near enough to actually gain a pound so its just fluid retention or needing to have a BM when I see the scale go up. My plan has me at 600-650 calories for at least another month and even through the week long stall every month my progress has been great..IMO. 

Keep working your plan and you'll be just fine!

deborahgalek31
on 5/16/12 5:20 am, edited 5/16/12 5:22 am
I am a year and 2 months out...this happens...depending on the person, could last a few days, could be a few weeks. Your body is just adjusting and kind of going into starvation mode...hanging on to what it can (like week 2 of every Biggest Loser season). You are doing everything right, keep exercising and getting your protien and liquids...it'll start again! I'm down to MY ideal weight (not what the doctors want, but I'm good) and I went through several of these stalls. If you really want to boost calorie burn, start building a bit of muscle...core and glutes are best, but if you can't do those just yet, just start lifting some gallon jugs of water...or cans of soup...do some punches with them while sitting. At this point, I was crying every other day thinking, God, this so wasn't worth it! I actually dove into a carton of ice cream...DON'T DO THIS, YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!! Now, I feel great, working out 30 to 120 minutes a day, building muscles, eating...well...honestly not fantabulous, but better than half a large pizza and a dozen hot wings I used to eat! Break out the measuring tape and put away the scale...guarantee you will be happier with those results more than weight results! Good luck to you!

Live Long and Prosper  \ V / ,
Debbie
chatterpam
on 5/16/12 6:16 am - PA
I am 11 months out and went through the same thing... everyone loses at a different rate. I find that I bounce between two numbers for awhile before moving to the lower one. I lost 6 pounds over a weekend once. I didn't weigh myself from Thursday until the following Monday - that was a nice surprize. Now that I am nearing my goal the weight has slowed even more, but I know what's going on there... me no-likely exercise... LOL... hang in there and try not to do the scale every day.. at least not at first (this is coming from a self-proclaimed scale junkie)

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/16/12 6:18 am
This is very common. We wait so long to get surgery and finally do something about the weight that we want to lose it as fast as possible.

I remember being at your exact stage and playing head games with myself: "Am I losing fast enough?" "Will I EVER get to goal?" "Why has that person lost x many more pounds than me and we had surgery the same day?"

This is a marathon, and the weight loss is cumulative. As much as we want to arrive at a number on a scale, once we do the work is just beginning. This, like any other transformative event, is something we will have to work at for the rest of our lives. And that means accepting that we sometimes aren't going to lose as fast as we want, someone else will always lose faster, and there will always be speed bumps.

So, chin up. You are by no means done with losing weight. Pick one day a week and take your measurements that day every week. That way you can see your progress even when the scale doesn't reflect it.
Bebhihn
on 5/16/12 6:51 am - IA
I may make a poster of this comment so when I get there (my surgery is next Tuesday) I can just refer to this to keep me going.  It's awesome!  Thank you!
Just When The Caterpillar Thought The World Was Over, She Became A Butterfly. 

--Proverb

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/16/12 11:42 am
aw, thanks. You're going to do great. keep us posted
Most Active
Recent Topics