Anyone else completely protein shake free?

losing-jennifer
on 5/17/12 10:00 am
Since 6-7 months post op I've been protein shake free (they make me gag).  I'm getting all my protein from greek yogurt, cheese, meat (my main sources).  I didn't think it would be this easy since I was used to reading other people's posts on still having to use shakes.  I relied heavily on them in the beginning but I now can do all my protein in a day with no issues.  Kinda scares me too.  I'm always afraid I'm eating too much.
Jen
HW 254  SW 242  CW 148
**Down 106 pounds from highest weight!**

poet_kelly
on 5/17/12 10:05 am - OH
I can get all my protein in without shakes if I want to.  At this moment I am sipping a shake, because I like my protein shakes.  They are yummy, like a treat for me.  A treat that's actually good for me.  I currently only like my shakes made with raw milk, though, the soy milk doesn't taste good to me anymore. So when I am out of raw milk, I don't do shakes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

losing-jennifer
on 5/17/12 10:10 am
Okay, so its because you like them...though I did see your newest creation you posted and that sounded yummy.  Oh, BTW...wasn't it you who tried making your own greek yogurt?  I've ordered a yogurt maker (makes 2quarts at a time) and I want to strain it and make greek.  Any tips?  I'm very much into all natural and organic and I like to have control over what our family eats.
Jen
HW 254  SW 242  CW 148

poet_kelly
on 5/17/12 10:14 am - OH
Yeah, I've been making my own Greek yogurt for a while now.  With raw milk.  Which is also organic and has no hormones or antibiotics in it.

To strain the yogurt, I line a mesh colander with cheesecloth, then put the colander over a bowl.  I pour the yogurt into the colander, then sit the whole thing in the fridge for a couple hours.  It usually takes about two hours to get to the thickness I want, but it depends on how thick or thin the yogurt is to start with.  If you leave it long enough, you end up with cream cheese, which happened to me the first time I tried to strain yogurt to make Greek yogurt and I left it straining overnight.

The liquid that drains out of it is whey, and I've read that you can use it in baked goods and things.  It's high in protein.  I've never tried to do anything with it, though.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

losing-jennifer
on 5/17/12 10:19 am
Thanks...I was thinking a cheesecloth and my colander would do it.  Yes, I've heard the whey is very good when baking bread or a cake.  Both of which I'm trying to avoid.  lol.  I guess it will get dumped.  I can't wait to try making greek yogurt!  So much cheaper and I love the fact I can control the ingredients 100%!!!
Jen
HW 254  SW 242  CW 148

poet_kelly
on 5/17/12 10:23 am - OH
I absolutely love it.  I made praline pecan yogurt the other day and it was wonderful.

christinalee
on 5/17/12 10:17 am - At Home in, NH
I seldom drink a protein shake. When I do it's because I'm too damn lazy to make breakfast or a snack to go before I hit the gym. I don't do shakes for the protein, but for something in my belly so I can work out better. I like them, just am not one to drink my protein or calories, much prefer food and chewing....

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

Strjen
on 5/17/12 10:26 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12
I've pretty much been shake free since week 3 post op. I would do protein bars there for a while, probably up until week 5 or 6 then I was getting all my protein through food. I really don't want to have to go back to them ever. They aren't horrible, but food is better. You know what I'm saying? Lol

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

MarilynT
on 5/18/12 12:41 am
This is me!

Surprisingly, "back in the day" when I had my surgery protein shakes were not really part of the post op eating plan, at least at my practice. We went home on a "diet as tolerated".

I only started drinking protein shakes a few years ago when I wanted to become a runner but didn't want to eat a solid breakfast before heading out. I have since given up the running but still occasionally have a shake, mixed with coffee, when I first wake up. I call it my homemade mocha.

I never have more than one in a day...it's more like one every couple of days.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

slashes
on 5/17/12 10:25 am
I stopped with the shakes for a bit, but then started using them to make my Protein Coffee which is just Mil**** a scoop of Chocolate Protein Powder and some coffee mixed - sometimes I even squirt in some SF Chocolate Syrup. It is a great treat on a warm day especially when I am doing yard work and it gives me extra protein and a boost - BONUS !!

Follow My Gastric Bypass Story
This is where I share it all - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

RNY: 01-23-2012 Weight day of Surgery - 286lbs ~ Weight as of 09-13-2013 164lbs