Synthroid absorption differences?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/23/12 12:47 pm - OH
 I have been on the same dose of Synthroid since before my RNY.  We increased it once briefly, then had to drop it back down about 6 months later.  Anyway, I was in my PCP's office two weeks ago and was going to be there for a while for a procedure.  He noticed that my hands were shaking, and asked about my thyroid (I can always tell when it is too high, and have been seeing him long enough that he knows that).  I then realized that it was almost time to eat, so I told him that my blood sugar was probably just dropping and that I was not having any hyperthyroid symptoms.  He brought me half a glass of OJ, and when he came back to check on me about 20 minutes later the shaking was gone.

When I saw him last week for med refills, he wanted to check my thyroid levels.  No problem.  Suddenly I am very HYPOthyroid even though my dose has not changed.  What HAS changed, though, is that the pharmacy told me when I picked up a refill (either the last one or the one before that) that they had switched manufacturers on the generic Synthroid so the pill would look different than what I was used to.  Now I am wondering about that as the reason for my levels being off.  I have always had trouble taking generic warfarin (blood thinner)... my levels are very unstable... but have never had trouble with generic levothyroxine.

Anyone have issues with generic thyroid meds not absorbing as well?

lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

april89love
on 5/23/12 12:52 pm - NC
I no pharmacists say there can be differences in effectiveness with some generic meds. Maybe you should go back to the name brand.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/23/12 12:56 pm - OH
Yeah, that's the plan for now... go back to the name brand of the same dose and have the levels re-checked in a month, and then we will decide where ro go from there as far as changing the dose.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Joanna C.
on 5/23/12 2:33 pm
As a pharmacy tech I know my head pharmacist does not change the generic brand on our generic levo. She says that changing generics on thyroid can mess with the thyroid levels in patients. Tell your pharmacy that you want to stay on the same generic on levo. Most other meds it does not make a difference, but on this one it does. I hope this helps.

Joanna
JJ_
on 5/23/12 7:29 pm
Hi Lora,

My extended health insurance only covers the generic version of drugs when available.  I have not had any issues with synthroid or eltroxin post-surgery.  My endocrinologist indicated that my blood tests show that my thyroid levels are ideal.

Judy
Marianne H.
on 5/23/12 9:45 pm - Alanson, MI
Revision on 03/31/15
 Lora,  yes it can and does make a difference!  The FDA says that generic medications must remain bioeqeuivalent to the name brand within a margin of + or - 20%. That can be a HUGE problem for us. I am VERY hypothyroid right now (TSH 8.7) and it has slammed the scale to a grinding halt for me. It is beyond frustrating! Brand name Synthroid is only about $25 for a month supply at Walmart. It might be worth it for you.

hockeymom8016
on 5/23/12 10:04 pm - NJ
I am on a generic synthroid and my levels have been fine since surgery. My dosage was only changed once shortly after surgery.

rachel05
on 5/23/12 10:29 pm - Leesburg, GA
So many meds are different from generic to brand..I have only ever been on generic synthroid and it's stilla fight to get right.. ANyway I'm looking into brand for me too..

I know my Mom's water pill is a HUGE difference.. With ehr generic it was still holding water,although she pee'd a ton.. We switched to brand it was almost instant chnaged in her feet..
Wanda K.
on 5/24/12 1:55 am - Hope Mills, NC
RNY on 04/09/12

My endocrinologist will only allow me to take the brand name of Synthroid because he says the generics have too many fillers in them and he doesn't know what the fillers are.  He also says Synthroid is made in the US and they only come from one place, unlike the generic form, which comes from who knows where.  Even though it is a little more expensive, I prefer to stay on the name brand synthroid.  So an answer to your question, yes there is a difference between name brand synthroid and generic synthroid.  Good luck...

Wanda 

HW: 282, SW: 244.4, CW: 211, GW: 140   

oxfordcat
on 5/24/12 2:55 am, edited 5/24/12 2:56 am - NJ
Yes. Pre-op i tried the generic and my levels actually changed for the worse. Dr. put me back on Synthroid only. Much better now.

and i was the same way with warfarin vs Coumadin too.

"Something has changed within me. Something is not the same". Elphaba    
Most Active
Recent Topics