Going Vegetarian

Trianni
on 5/26/12 4:56 pm - Maryville, TN
RNY on 04/02/12
After another night of vomiting, I've decided that I think I'm going to adopt a version of a vegetarian diet where I can incorporate eggs and dairy. I've finally accepted that I just cannot eat meat or fish at all. I don't know if this will be a forever thing but I realize I must be proactive in meeting my nutritional needs and this seems to be the way to go. At least it should be less painful. I'd be interested in hearing from others who have gone this route either permanently or on a short term basis and learning how they managed. 

Hope everyone is enjoying a good Memorial Day weekend!

Rebecca
cuddles010982
on 5/26/12 5:00 pm - Mt
I am 11 weeks post op and I have been having a terrible time with meat.  This is going to sound weird but the two types of meat I can eat is summer sausage and these little frozed chicken breast tenders.  I cannot eat chicken any other way. The chicken is Tyson honey breast tenders. They are super moist.

I have been eating a lot of cheese such as cottage cheese, string cheese, laughing cow cheese... and in the past week i have finally been able to drink protein shakes again which I make with lactose free milk. I do not like them but they no longer make me vomit. 

hopefully you will be able to adapt your diet to work for you. I am slowly getting able to add new things in...so hopefully you will be able to soon.

~Heidi
The quest for excellence is a life long process
JJ_
on 5/26/12 6:35 pm
Fortunately for me, I had no issues with anything I tried food wise.  Check out greek yogurt (plain) and add some sf jam (yummy).  Good luck in getting your daily protein needs.

Judy
jkjstars123
on 5/26/12 7:49 pm, edited 5/26/12 7:51 pm - Tama, IA
Don't give  up meat just yet. Give it some more time than try again. Have you tried pork chops? I eat that a lot. I also eat Hillshire Farm Grilled Chicken Breast-Italian Style. It is real moist.  It comes in a box with two in it. Here in Iowa I get it at Hy Vee. Also have you tried deli meat? I eat turkey. It comes in thin slices. That is pretty much all the meat I can eat now.

Just reminder you are pretty early out so give it some time. I'm almost three years out and still having some problems (I had 5 strictures and was on a full liquid diel for months) but most people adjust just fine.  Some days I do fine with eggs and other days they make my pouch uncomfortable.

Thanks Julie

HW 304, SW 291, GW 160, CW 140 H-5'9.5"            

dasie
on 5/26/12 8:15 pm
I could not eat meat for probably the first year.  The only time I vomited, with one exception, was when I ate meat.  I slowly moved towards the diet you described except I could not eat eggs either until year 2.  They made me sick to my stomach for some reason.  I ate lots of beans, cheese, yogurt, my shakes, nuts and veggies.  I was able to eat moist meatloaf made with Whole Foods ground turkey or pork.  I don't eat beef - if I do maybe 3 times per ear.  I mostly eat small servings of chicken, on occasion, and I love fish.

You will be able to eat meat again, but at this time listen to your body.  I would read about others who at 6 weeks ate whatever they wanted with no problems.  We are all different, and it takes trail and error to find what works for you.

As a result of my issues with meat, I learned to love vegetables for the first time in my life.  I had surgery when I was 54, and it took surgery and my food limitations to learn what I had been missing all these years. 

If meat causes you problems, leave it alone and try it at a later time. 

wendydettmer
on 5/26/12 9:44 pm - Rochester, NY
I don't have issues eating meat, but for a variety of reasons I have chosen to go vegetarian (and slowly working on vegan).

It hasn't been that tough. I eat greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, tofu, tempeh, etc. I try to keep things as whole and unprocessed as possible. Although I do eat boca burgers sometimes.

I hate greek yogurt, but it tastes good when i mix one of the little containers (plain), with half a tube of drink mix and a packet of truvia. I have that and some fruit almost every day for a snack.

I am 5 months out and still do a protein shake every day to help meet my goal.

good luck! I'm thinking of starting a blog about vegan/vegetarian bariatric recipes

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Darcy S.
on 5/26/12 10:19 pm - Clinton, CT
Early on I used a crock pot for my meat! It was delish and may work for you too!

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG                                

gbsinsatx
on 5/26/12 10:46 pm, edited 5/26/12 10:48 pm - San Antonio, TX
I used to be a Vegetarian many years ago and I went back to being a Vegetarian 5 months after RNY. I never ate much beef prior to RNY and none after. I tried unsuccesfully to eat chicken and fish. I am a Lacto Ovo Vegetarian meaning I eat dairy and eggs as well as plant based food. Please see my profile page for ideas if you are interested.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

poet_kelly
on 5/26/12 10:55 pm - OH
I've been a vegetarian for about 26 years now.  I do eat dairy and occasionally eggs.  What do you want to know?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lisa S.
on 5/26/12 11:08 pm - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
I am still pre-op. But I have been trying to eliminate meat from my diet as well. And even now my belly does not like eggs. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have awesome recipe ideas online. You can actually choose to look at recipes that are vegan, sugar free, gluten free, etc. There is alot of good products out there.
Kelly...do you mind posting some of your favorite recipes??

Most Active
Recent Topics