here is a question. i hope that doesnt offend anyone.

courtwillbehealthy
on 5/29/12 2:51 am - burlington, VT
 Does Age play a Big role in the amount of weight you can lose, or how fast it comes off? i was told everyone tyipically loses between 70-90% of there excess body fat. but how that happens. does being younger make it easier or harder? again sorry if this offends anyone its not my intention 

Michelle V.
on 5/29/12 2:56 am - Livonia, MI
I don't think age has much to do with it. I think it's mostly genetics & ability to follow the doctor's recommendations.

courtwillbehealthy
on 5/29/12 3:04 am - burlington, VT
 didnt think of it that way thanks. 
A. C
on 5/29/12 3:12 am
i don't know the answer to your question to be honest, but i am willing to bet that my age (i'm 40) will play a bit of a role in how active i am (it hurts sometimes) and also how well my skin will snap back into place! lol

but as to how much weight i will lose, i dunno!

HW: 376   SW: 354  

kittehkitteh27
on 5/29/12 6:59 am - Zebulon, NC
RNY on 01/18/12 with
Annie is 40?

40 isnt old by any means but from your avatar, I always thought you were late 20s - maybe early 30s.

~Kitteh~   Start 363 / Surgery 346 / Current 204.1 / Goal 150

A. C
on 5/29/12 7:58 am
annie is 40 and annie LOVES you

lmao :)

HW: 376   SW: 354  

stlfocus
on 5/29/12 3:12 am - IA
I was 60 when I had WLS last September, and I had an amazing surgery and recovery with absolutely no complications.

So in my case, age didn't come into play.  And I lost 90% of my excess weight within 6 months.  I am 4 lbs. away from 100 lb. loss and 5 lbs. away from goal now at 8 months out.

Like someone previously said, following your doctor's orders plays a HUGE role in being successful.

Laura in Texas
on 5/29/12 3:35 am, edited 5/29/12 3:35 am
I'm in my 40's and have a BMI of 21 (and have maintained for almost 3 years). I don't think age has affected my loss. I believe genetics plays much more of a factor.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

BWB
on 5/29/12 3:37 am
I'm close to my goal weight and it is coming off faster now than 5 months ago but I am working my butt off doing gardening in 80 - 95 degree weather. I would expect that the younger you are the tighter your skin will be but that might depend on how much you were over weight. So many factors to consider. I've had two C-Sections and a hysterectomy.... not good for the tummy skin but neck and shoulder skin is in great shape, not wrinkly at all.

MBsRNY
on 5/29/12 4:03 am - Baltimore, MD
70%-90% of their excess body fat or excess weight? (NOt sure if it would amount to the same thing).  I was told average weight loss is 60% of their excess weight.     Hmmm....I sure like your statistic better than mine.

I'm pretty sure that age MUST play a role in it, but probably not as great a role as genetics, metabolism and factors one can control, such as how active one is and how strict was in about eating properly.   The reason I think age has to play some role in how fast weight loss occurs is that it has a known role in resting metabolic rate.  The older we are, the lower that rate.  So it only makes sense that  two people eating the same amount, exercising the same amount, same starting weight and miraculously the same genetics, but 30 years difference would burn a different amount of calories just breathing.  Ergo...the younger one loses weight faster.

Bottom line is....probably makes a difference, but not as much as other things, so no point in fretting.

HW 270, SW 257, Surgery date: 4/25/12...        
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 303 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics