OT: vacuum used by those with long-haired dogs?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/30/12 11:38 am - OH
Ok, so I have a Scottie and just last week had to put my Chow down (but will be getting a "replacement" Chow puppy in a couple of months).  Chows shed like crazy year round even if you brush them every week (at least a 2-hour endeavor once they have their adult coat). 

I currently have an inexpensive Hoover for upstairs and a Eureka Boss (about 5 years old) for downstairs.  The boss is very heavy (nearly 25 pounds) and I got tired of lugging it up the stairs.  Even just vacuuming with it is a chore, but it does a good job.  The Hoover is acting up and needs replaced.  I decided to "treat" myself and try a Dyson "animal" vacuum which is very lightweight.  Unfortunately, after vacuuming only 2 or 3 rooms, a large amount of Chow hair was wrapped around the rollerbrush, almost completely obscuring the bristles!  It was wrapped so tightly that I had to cut the hair in order to get it off!  So, after having to cut the hair off twice in order to vacuum the whole house, I sent it back and still need to get another replacement.  My Boss does not do that with the Chow hair and even the inexpensive Hoover only gets a small amount of it wrapped (and I can easily pull it off).

So, those of you who have long-haired dogs, what kind of a vacuum do you use that you are happy with (and does it do stairs well)?  The stair attachment on the Boss is useless.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Scaura
on 5/30/12 11:58 am - Fort Collins, CO
The only good recommendation I have for long hair dogs (I showed dogs for a long time and had as many as 15 one time) is to get a long handled rubber bristle brush and "scrap" the carpet prior to vacuuming.  It will get up a majority of the long hairs on the surface and allow you to use a regular vacuum like a Dyson.

Laura
HW: 311  SW:264 (size 24)  CW: 174 (size 14)  Surgeon's Goal: 176 My GW: 149
Weight Loss Month 1: 20 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 2: 17 pounds!
Weight Loss Month 3: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 4: 10 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 5: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 6: 6 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 7: 6 pounds!   Weight Loss Month 8:

25 pound to my goal!

Paul C.
on 5/30/12 12:55 pm - Cumming, GA
Dunno what vacuum we have that's my wife's stuff
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Dave Chambers
on 5/30/12 1:03 pm - Mira Loma, CA
I've used as Dyson Animal for years, with 4 house dogs. Two are Labs that shed a lot more than all of my house cats combined.  The Dyson works fine for me, but I resorted to putting down tile many years ago, after I got tired of steam cleaning carpets every 6 weeks or so.  With tile I have no issues at all. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Lucycat
on 5/30/12 1:20 pm - Lewiston, ID

I have the Dyson animal and 3 pugs.  My dyson is great, but I bought the dyson attachment that brushes the dogs and the hairs goes straight into the vacuum. It works great.

Sue

Cherokeesage
on 5/30/12 5:41 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
We replaced our Eureka and Orick with a Hoover Windtunnel T series.  I had to have one that isn't heavy.   It is HEPA and bagless.  I am in awe of how much dog and human hair is being picked up.  On the tile areas I swifter daily and it looks like a puppy on the the throw away sheet when I'm done.  This gives you an indication of the hair that is being shed in our house.  My Shar Pei mix really sheds but isn't long haired.  My granddaughter has long thick hair that gets everywhere.  My daughter has long thin hair.  My husband is constantly cleaning the shower and sink drains so they don't clog.  Since you said a long haired dog, it made me think about whether or not their hair is wrapped around my vacuum because it did with the Oreck.  I just checked and after 3 months there is no hair wrapped around the roller.  I've been losing hair as well.    I vacuum every other day and the tank is full in a week with dog/human hair.  I know it sounds gross but it is what it is. I don't have stairs.  But, I do like the long hose to reach ceiling vents. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

happy_baker
on 5/30/12 6:11 pm
RNY on 02/15/12
 I use the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser. It's a great vacuum, and with a Husky who blows her coat almost year round, it's vital I have a machine that can keep up.

I have to empty the bin about 3x just to finish the living room, but it picks up the hair really well, without having to go over and over it. And it's affordable. I'd love a Dyson, but my budget doesn't have room for that.    Click for link

_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Alicia F.
on 5/31/12 2:20 am
RNY on 04/16/12
Dyson!  Love it... i have 3 kitty cats and 4 dogs, two of which shed alot...

I have the Dyson Animal.  My co-worker swears by her Dyson cordless vac for her pet hair issues...

Good luck!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/31/12 4:00 am - OH
On May 31, 2012 at 9:20 AM Pacific Time, GodGaveMe3 wrote:
Dyson!  Love it... i have 3 kitty cats and 4 dogs, two of which shed alot...

I have the Dyson Animal.  My co-worker swears by her Dyson cordless vac for her pet hair issues...

Good luck!
The Dyson Animal definitely is NOT good for Chow hair.  I was not going to have to cut the hair off the roller twice every time I needed to vacuum the whole house! It worked fine on the Scottie hair and my hair, but it really didn't pick up any better than my $150 Eurerka Boss.  It was just a LOT lighter.  For that kind of money, though, I expected much more.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

nfarris79
on 5/31/12 7:48 am - Germantown, MD
 Lora, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your Chow but am glad you're getting a new companion!  we had 3 longhair cats which led to us getting bamboo flooring thru the mjority of the house! bt our Bissell bagless that we got at Target seems to do a ok job, just with a lot of bin emptying....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
Recent Topics