Fear of RNY not working

coppertop84
on 6/19/12 5:15 am - Canada
 Hey All... I'm new here... My surgery is in one week. I'm SO nervous. I keep having dreams that I'll only lose like 5 lbs. I'm on optifast right now and lost 15 lbs in 4 days... so now I keep thinking as soon as I put anything more than liquids in my tummy post op I'll gain. Someone tell me I'm crazy and I'll be fine :) 
christinalee
on 6/19/12 6:35 am - At Home in, NH
You're crazy and you will be fine!

Really, just take a look at all the success in this forum, do you really, really believe that you will be the ONLY one it doesn't work for? Come-on, as long as you follow your center's protocal and guidelines following a successful surgery, you'll do fine (and you won't be crazy).

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/19/12 6:37 am
You will be fine.  Most likely.  Most of us lose weight and do just fine as long as we follow the rules post op WLS: protein first, then some veggies and maybe some carbs... (if you have space left)
There is no guarantee in anything.
The real issue may start 1-2-3 years post op. That where you can really benefit from changing the way you eat. 
Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kenny B.
on 6/19/12 6:53 am - Leland, NC
RNY on 01/30/12
You'll be fine! Just follow your Dr.s plan and everything WILL work out. You'll go through so many emotions these next few weeks. That's normal. If you don't, Then I would be worried.
 This is the beginning of a long journey that you have control of. You can take this journey by the reins and work it to help you. Or you can sit back and expect it to work for you. It's going to take work on your part. So if your not ready for it, all I can say is good luck to ya. It is a big  step, and a life changing process. 

Just follow the plan and you'll be fine. Good luck, see ya on the losers side!

Kenny B.
Philippians 4;6-7

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Dave Chambers
on 6/19/12 7:21 am - Mira Loma, CA
You'll likely lose more than 5 pounds in 2 weeks, and that's considering the wt gain from fluids in the hospital.  Follow your surgeon's directions and you'll do fine. I'd highly suggest you attend support groups on a regular bases. Data shows that post ops that attend these meetings are the post ops that do the best from their wt loss surgery.  You'll be on liquids for a week or two, BUT, please eat foods allowed. Without solid foods, your digestive tract willl have issues.  Good luck, DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Capt_Kirk
on 6/19/12 8:24 am - WA
RNY on 06/12/12
 Here's a perfect example!  I went into the hospital at 329 (was down to 327, so I was hovering the last few days) and when I got weighed immediately post op, I was up to 332.2... came home and was at 338.  I was pretty sad actually.  I'd gained 10 lbs since surgery... :(

Exactly 1 week post op now... I'm down to 314.  Yeah, that's 15 pounds in a week.  It's pretty crazy!

Was the surgery everything I thought it'd be?  No, it's really odd.  I thought I'd have massive restriction and wouldn't be hungry, etc.  Nothing has really changed, except the total amount of stuff I can intake.  I still drool all over myself when my wife makes bacon and eggs for the family in the morning... knowing full well I can't have any, but in return, I get to enjoy a homemade protein ice cream sundae :)
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 370 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 212 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 100 views
Recent Topics