Newbie- Surgery on 06/14/12 - vomiting and feelings

SeeSawWent
on 6/20/12 5:48 pm
So I am 6 days ok 7 days pos-op, it's after 12 am.  I had to stay an extra night or two due to dehydration. 
1. Constipation...still.  A little here..a little there.  Nurse suggests enemas...plural. Lets just say I tried and not really suceeded, I shall try again.  She said I can try Mom...as well.  Oh and already using Colace.  My question here is what are your experiences with this and how did you correct the problem.  The same way?  Mine is a work in progress. 
2. Vomitting. Apparently I was and can still sip too fast.  However.  I sip sip sip my protein shake wait thrity minutes, drink a sip or so of cold water.  Out everything comes in order of insertion.  Trying warm water/tea instead...it is staying down better.   But I can go a couple of hours doing shake and drink and such, then throw up everything.  It feels like nothing is going down or being digested as it should (judging from what comes up)  Should everything or at least a good amount of what was "eaten" a couple of hours ago still be there?  Am I being to impatient?  I am barely getting protein maybe 15-30. at max.  The only thing to "stay down" and dissapear from my expulsions has been the greek yogurt.  Getting tired of it quick.  My nurse says I am doing great and to work on the lower evacuation problems.  I will call md again tomorrow, but I am curious to know what other people's experinces have been
3. The feelings part.  Frustrated.  Thirsty, weak, grumpy, I want my iced tea, but  Mostly Frustrated.
Thank you...If not, can you point me to specific forums or posts for ideas and suggestions.  I am new to this scene as well.
Thank you!
poet_kelly
on 6/20/12 11:22 pm - OH
1.  A lot of people I know use Miralax for constipation with good results.  I use it daily.

2.  It seems like a protein shake should not still be in your pouch to throw up two hours later.  I would definitely call your surgeon.

3.  How about having some decaf iced tea?  I drink it all day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SeeSawWent
on 6/21/12 2:25 am
Thank you for your response.  I haven't tried Miralax before.  I will have to look into it.  I was hoping someone else felt the same way about food/shake being in the pouch two hours later.  I called the nurse at the surgeon's office this morning.  Awaiting a response. 

Decaf iced tea would still be great...btw, what is wrong with unsweetened Blac****d tea?  I realise it has caffeine.  Is that the only problem?  It is my favorite.  I have a whole cabinet of different teas I am working on trying. 

Also I was wondering would the constipation cause the pouch not to empy efficiently? even liquids?  I was comtemplating it could be the stomach swelling due to the recent surgery.  I tried to look up clinical reports on the subject but evidently I am not looking in the right place or it is not available.  Grrruffff.

Thank you again!
poet_kelly
on 6/21/12 2:39 am - OH
I think the caffeine is the main issue.  I don't think caffeine is a problem in moderation but I drin****d tea all day long.  So I try to stick with decaf.

I don't think constipation would keep the pouch from emptying.  When you're constipated, stool gets backed up in your large intestine, but there is a very long small intestine in between your pouch and your large intestine.  So it's not like there's no room for the stuff to move out of the pouch.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 487 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 488 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 76 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?