The hair-loss side-effect

kimberkim
on 7/7/12 12:39 pm - Stouffville, Canada
So, I thought after 3 months I was not going to lose hair. It was great. Losing weight, more energy, fantastic! Well, this last week I've been losing hair like crazy. I'm thankful I have a lot of hair, but yah, I'm losing quite a bit of hair now. Just thought I'd share this with those thinking about the surgery. The irritation of hair loss is still worth the surgery. I'm so much happier and healtheir and just enjoying life. Shedding...well, meh, I have to clean out the shower drain more often. But I have the energy to do it!

JODJR
on 7/7/12 1:36 pm - NH
I noticed the same thing around the 3 month time frame. I was told by my doctor that if your protein intake is low then you can loose your hair. It takes your body 90 days to show the result of the low protein intake.
    For me I had an issue with the protein drinks the 2-3 weeks after surgery. Loved them before...after surgery....YUCK!!  

I had my RNY the week before Christmas 2011.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/7/12 1:38 pm - OH
The hair loss after RNY has to do with a lot more than decreased protein intake.  Google telogen effluvium to read about it.  Getting all your protein in will not prevent hair loss, but NOT getting enough protein in will make it worse.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lady Lithia
on 7/9/12 9:58 am
My protein was at 75g to 100g per day for 6 months prior to WLS andd from day 3 onwards postop it was 75 - 100 g. I still lost half my volume.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

brenlee1965
on 7/7/12 11:12 pm - New Berlin, NY
You can google "telogen effluvium in women after gastric bypass surgery" and this will tell you about this directly resulting from this surgery.
 Bren                
poet_kelly
on 7/8/12 3:09 am - OH
hair loss usually begins about three months post op. 

The thing about hair loss is, the damage has been done a few months before it starts to fall out.

Here's how it works.  At any given time, about 10% of your hair is in a "resting phase."  It rests for about three months, then falls out.  The rest of your hair is in a growing phase.  Well, general anesthesia can cause more hair than normal to go into the resting phase, about 30%.  It's called telogen effluvium.

Lack of protein and vitamins can also cause hair loss, but again, they cause hair to go into the resting phase, so it falls out a few months later.  So the hair you're losing now hasn't been damaged by lack of protein or vitamins or anything you've done recently.  It's old damage.

Make sure you're getting your protein, at least 60 grams a day.  It usually lasts for about three months or so before it stops falling out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kimberkim
on 7/9/12 8:56 am - Stouffville, Canada
Thanks so much Kelly and everyone else!

I was expecting the hairloss, but I guess I thought it would start sooner. I'm thankful I have a lot of hair. Just gets annoying when I wear a white t-shirt and see many strands sticking to my chest and sleeves.

I am finding it difficult to get in all my protien these days, now that I'm introducing more new foods--and a lot of those foods don't always agree with my pouch. I will be upping my protien shake intake for sure.

Thanks again everyone! This site is always so helpful, everyone is great with info sharing.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 232 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics