intense sense of smell

UPSunflower
on 7/17/12 2:32 am
RNY on 06/26/12
Has anyone noticed a change in the sense of smell and sensitivity to odors?

I'm been so sensitive since the surgery and it makes me nauseous. It is especially sensitive to body odors and restroom odors. I seem to have a problem even stomaching the smell of urine let alone any other restroom odors. Whether in my own bathroom or a public restroom I end up dry-heaving at the odors in the room. I never had the problem before?
Every morning is a blessing from God and a day to make like better.
Capt_Kirk
on 7/17/12 2:38 am - WA
RNY on 06/12/12
 Our bodies are so weird... I am super sensitive to smell now... I almost equate it to how blind people are super sensitive to sound.  For the first few weeks pre-op and post-op, our diets are super restricted, and I think that lends it our body to compensate by increasing the sensitivity to smell.

Then again, I'm not a doctor, but it makes sense in my head.
M. B
on 7/17/12 2:38 am
RNY on 07/13/12
I havnt got to experience the lovley side effects of stong smells, i am only 4 days out of surgery.. but the nurses at the hospital and my Dr. seemed to think i would get it eventually so they sent me home with a whole big handful of alcohol preps, and told me at the first whiff, to rip one open and dab it right under my nostrils.. not alot, just enough to clear the smell from my "smell memory hairs in my nose" lol... so i dont know if it works, that was just my tip for dealing with it.
(deactivated member)
on 7/17/12 2:41 am
RNY on 04/18/12
I had a super-sensitve sense of smell for the first several weeks after my surgery.  While that's toned down a bit from when I first had surgery (I'm three months out now) I am still more sensitive than I was pre-surgery.
hedrider
on 7/17/12 2:41 am - Midlothian, TX
 Yup.  Fast food joints smell like rancid grease to me now.

I couldn't stand the smell of my own body sometimes early out.

It gets better, but I am still more sensitive than I was pre-op for some strange reason.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

juleskar
on 7/17/12 2:47 am
Shortly post-op, until between 3-6 months, I was really sensitive to smell. It seemed to disappear are the same time my ketosis breath got better. I have no idea why this happened, or if the two things are even connected, but that was what happened to me. I applied deodorant and perfume repeatedly during day, and showered with a deodorant soap sometimes twice a day. The breath?? I had a sugar free mint in my mouth all day. But be careful of too many sugar alcohols, or you can get diarrhea.
Sarah R.
on 7/17/12 2:48 am
I was very sensitive to smells for the first couple of months after surgery and then it faded back to my normal cant smell anything LOL

MC83
on 7/17/12 2:53 am
RNY on 04/28/12 with
I, too, experienced this phenomenon for a few weeks after surgery.  It was really random what would set off my gag reflex...like I couldn't feed my dog for about two weeks because the smell of his food would send me running to the other room and it never bothered me before (and no he didn't starve for two weeks, I had my husband feed him lol).  It seems to have subsided now so hang in there. 

rachel05
on 7/17/12 4:47 am - Leesburg, GA
Oh lordy..i had to get a automatic dishwasher due to my intense sense of smeel.i think hand washed dishes smell like wet dog.i tried different dish detergents,temps of water..oh you name it,nothing worked.i still smell wet dog on mnay surfaces..I feel like Wolverine at times..LOL you are not alone chickie!
JaneJetson
on 7/17/12 4:53 am, edited 7/17/12 2:53 am
RNY on 05/07/12
I could not be around cat food I could smell it from the other end of the house. No perfume, had to go to all shampoos and body wash that didn't have a scent, you name it. Laundry soap, fabric softeners anything that smelled like colognes. Told my husband no cologne at all for him either. I have since gone back to normal, thank goodness. It was horrible.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 141 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?