Down in the dumps and completely discouraged

MC83
on 7/18/12 10:56 am
RNY on 04/28/12 with
I'm having a pretty rough time right now. I am almost 3 months post op and I went in for a follow up today only to see that I was 270 lbs (up 2 lbs from this past Sunday when I last weighed myself). My start weight was 311 and my surgery weight was 306, so in the past almost 3 months I've only lost 36-41 pounds depending on which numbers you go by.  I'm really depressed as I have been following the guidelines, I get my protein, I am only eating ~800 calories a day, I exercise vigorously almost every day with varied exercises like water aerobics, biking, walking miles, strength training, and the elliptical, and I try to burn ~500 calories a day. My surgeon thought that I would have been lower at this point but said that I must have a lower resting metabolic rate and that I just need to keep very active and maybe increase my calories to 1000/day.  I know I'm not drinking nearly enough water throughout the day so I will work on that, I tend to get about 20 oz in.  I really don't like water nor do I like crystal lite.  One "bad" thing I have been doing is drinking a few Red Bull Total Zero's a week, I really need the caffeine in the morning to get me through my day, but my surgeon said to quit so I will.

That's my backstory but right now I'm just having an emotional breakdown..on my way back home from the gym a wave of emotion hit me and I just started sobbing. I rearranged my insides, I have to take supplements for the rest of my life, and my hair is falling out in handfuls on a daily basis....for what?  To lose the same amount of weight in the same amount of time that I could have on a crash diet?  I have never tried so hard or completely changed my lifestyle like this and I feel that it's completely wasted.  I mean, I can not reiterate how healthy I have become and today was just a slap in the face for me.  I just needed to get this out. Any advice, kind words, or even harsh words would be welcomed.  

Nessie_88
on 7/18/12 11:04 am - TN
RNY on 05/16/12
I feel ya girl! I'm only a couple weeks behind you and have only lost around 40lbs. I feel like my weight should be coming off way faster because I'm following my diet and doing everything I should be doing. I get my protein in and my fluids. When I look at others tickers and see how much weight they've lost in so little time, it makes me think, why not me too? You would think with me starting out at that high of a weight (372) that it would come off faster.  My hair is also coming out in handfuls! I just wanted to comment and let you know that I'm right there with you. I've been very stressed and aggravated as well. I guess we just need to hang in there and everything will get better.

allys
on 7/18/12 11:10 am
Awww, girl I totally understand. It sucks not to see the progress we expect!! Total downer and really hits hard. All of that being said, it's really important to keep it all in perspective. Even 36 pounds in 3 months is great! Like you said, you've completely rearranged your insides and your body is still in freak-out mode I think. More water will definitely help as will adjusting your calories. How are your carbs? Are you pooping? I've heard that carbonated anything is bad for us but it sounds like you're already on that.

Big hugs and hang in there. At least you're losing! There are some people on here who've posted huge long stalls. Talk about discouraging after taking a life-altering step like this.

Don't worry about the emotional breakdown part either. I can't tell you how many times I've cried in situations where I would NEVER have before. Sigh. It will get better, I just know it!
MichelleNC
on 7/18/12 11:13 am
 I haven't had my surgery yet sigh anyway the water issue is huge. I find days I drink more water I lose more weight. It is flushing your system. What about broth some type of liquid you need more liquids. How abou****er with cucumber slices in it or lemons in it? 
Also up your calories that I have read over the last few months makes the scale move for people who are working out a lot. Don't compare yourself to other. As far as the crash diets the weight always comes back your doing it slow and steady you will be a success. Remember failure is not a option!

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

MC83
on 7/18/12 11:36 am, edited 7/18/12 11:36 am
RNY on 04/28/12 with
Thank you for the encouraging words, ladies (and gent).  To answer a few questions, I have pretty much cut out carbs (and it kills me because that was my evil food pre-op...anything potato, pasta, rice, and thick slices of bread) and I poop regularly.  I will have to try to jazz up the water with lemon and lime...I just find it difficult to get all of it in because I'm constantly having to give enough time in between eating and snacks so I don't clear out my pouch (on top of just not liking it).  I'm going to keep pushing, I just wish the scale reflected all of my hard work better. Le sigh.

newdreams22
on 7/18/12 1:11 pm
RNY on 04/27/12 with
HI. Hang in there i had my surgery the day before you and I'm only down 33lbs.. my Nut said slow and steady is healthy she actually told me to up my calories i was only taking in 600 a day. i do eat carbs but mostly from veggies..  don't worry things will change don't give up we're here for support i love OH..lol 
Eve

alwaysloyal
on 7/18/12 11:37 am - MI
I had surgery 2 days after you and have lost only 36#s as of last Fri.Keep your eye on the prize-We will get there!
avivaps
on 7/18/12 11:54 am
RNY on 02/28/12
 I wonder if there are other measurements that tell a different story.  Did you take your measurements per-op?  Has your clothing size changed?  Have you checked your body fat percentage?

I think the key statement you made is "I've never tried so hard or completely changed my lifestyle like this"...that is the key to LONG TERM success and THAT is the real prize.  All of us have become experts at losing weight (having done it so many times before) but now you are going to become the expert in keeping it off. Also remember 36 lb in 3 months is about 3 lb per week.  When was the last diet you lost this much over such an extended period.

Hang in there.  You are on the right track.  If you continue what you are doing the prize is YOURS!

Andrea

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

Sherrie P.
on 7/18/12 12:12 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
I have not had bypass yet... but from what I am reading, 3 months is a common stall point.

BE PATIENT.

Guess what... there is NO GOING BACK!!  You cannot give up - or you will be in an even worse fix.  Do whatcha gotta do, pull yourself together and PRESS ON!!!!

Believe in yourself. Believe in the committment you made, and consider seeing a therapist. They are awesome. 

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

poet_kelly
on 7/18/12 12:20 pm - OH
According to my surgeon, three to five pounds loss per week is normal at first.  So you're about 12 weeks out and have lost 36-41 pounds, so that's about three pounds per week or a little bit more.  So at the low end of the normal rate.

I understand that you're disappointed and frustrated.  But look.  The important thing is that the weight is coming off.  The hair loss is temporary.  Yes, you could have lost this much on a crash diet.  But this is not a crash diet.  You're getting healthy for life.  You're not going to just gain the weight right back again.  And you have to be healthier in other ways too, not just lower in pounds, with that exercise and eating right.  That counts for something too, right?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics