Straws

ashleym6888
on 8/22/12 3:14 am - CA
RNY on 08/30/12 with
 Hi I know we aren't allowed straws but when I met with the nutritionist she advised me to get a camelback type of bottlebevause it gives restricted amount of water per bite of the straw type thing. Does anyone know if these are allowed since it technically isn't a straw. ???
swoozieq67
on 8/22/12 5:06 am - MI
RNY on 04/25/12
I have been using a straw since day 2 post op. I am 4 months out and I have never had ant issues. It actually helps me out when I feel like I need to burp, I purposely suck in a bit of air to make a burp!

Gail S.
on 8/22/12 5:15 am - New York, NY
Doctors advise against straws because they allow you to gulp in extra air which causes gas. If it doesn't cause you discomfort then go for it!

Ninny80
on 8/22/12 5:48 am
I use a Camelbak water bottle and find that you do not suck  in air like you would a straw.  I highly recomend it!

ashleym6888
on 8/22/12 6:08 am - CA
RNY on 08/30/12 with
 Thanks !!! 
Kim S.
on 8/22/12 6:14 am - Helena, AL
When does she want you to use the Camelback?  I have a Camelback bladder in my hiking backpack and yes, it is great.  But I can't imagine using it other than for hiking.

I've used straws since I was post op....and I have no issues.

Cassandra C.
on 8/22/12 6:31 am - NY
RNY on 06/11/12
 I found that I would drink more during the day if I used one of those plastic cups that looks like a to go cup with a straw. I haven't had a problem yet. 

Dave Chambers
on 8/22/12 6:39 am - Mira Loma, CA

Using those plastic insulated cups with built in straws are handy--they don't sweat. You can use straws, if you actually think about not drinking too fast to draw in air.  Early post ops cannot drink fluids like they did preop.  I made the mistake when I was 3 months post op--a hot summer day, I'd made a glass of iced tea to sip on inside my A/C home. I had to go outside for a few minutes. Came back in and immediately took some large drinks of the iced tea, before I realized my error. I immediately grabbed a plastic trashcan nearby, and instantly had projectile vomiting of the tea.  Sipping is the key, and if you use a straw pay attention. It's just like learning to eat solid foods post op.  If you eat too fast, don't chew well enough, try talking while eating, etc. you can have choking issues or have a very upset pouch.  Paying attention is a key issue if you want to use a straw. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

ashleym6888
on 8/22/12 6:55 am - CA
RNY on 08/30/12 with
 Thank you all !!
grmadeb01
on 8/22/12 7:46 am - FL
before surgery, i took a insulated water jug with me every where i went with ice water in it....and would refill it during the day...just drank on it all day long...and yes it had a straw in it..now after surgery..i had a bit of problem drinking with a straw in the months like 2-6 months...maybe...i used the insulated coffee cups with the lid that has the hole on one side...i was out of state at this point and had access to these cups..then i came home and i went and bought one of those in insulated one with the hole on the side...then one day i tried a straw again and no problems..so now i am back to my straws..now.when i was out of state i was in wyoming, higher up elevation..and now that i am home i am in florida much lower evelation..i have no idea if that had anything to do with it...but while i was in wyoming for 3.5 months i had a hard time drinking with a straw...
good luck
debby
Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 72 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 296 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 342 views