Fiber: It's Not Optional!

mikerccie
on 8/27/12 7:27 am
RNY on 02/28/12
I'll share you the long version of the story and the very-TMI solution - but here's a cautionary tale.

I went to California for a week of training and stayed at an Extended Stay hotel so that I had a Fridge to put good RNY-friendly food in.

I was very focused on getting in my protein - so much so that I would eat meals that were totally protein.  The net result is that other than one meal with some raw veggies I went 5 days with no fiber.

The result was the most Painful Saturday Nights of my life. 

So, the lesson I learned is that I have to keep an eye on fiber as well as protein.

marianthelibrarian
on 8/27/12 8:31 am
 Oh, do I know what you mean!  I'm 4 weeks out today, and I've been pretty focused on meeting my protein goals as laid out by my plan.  When I do that, I eat only protein, and, when I eat only protein, I have constipation issues.  I add fiber to my protein shakes, but that only helps a little.  I went to a nutrition workshop last week, and the nutritionist said that at 3-4 weeks out I needed to cut myself some slack on the protein goal and strive for more balance.  So I did, and, wonder of wonders, fiber and veggies with protein keep things moving!  I knew this, but I'm also a rule follower and wanted to be compliant with the protein rule!  

Lapband 4/2005:  342HW, 202LW
RNY 7/30/2012: 292HW, 276SW

Hollie313
on 8/27/12 9:52 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
There are also fiber supplements and powders that can be used.  I had the same issue,
but DH picked me up some powdered, flavorless fiber powder and it's been working
wonders. 

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

65rosesmom
on 8/27/12 10:00 am
VERY good point. I'm just coming to this realization now. I'm not even 3 weeks out yet, and all I can eat is shakes, yogurt, cottage cheese and soup. I realized this morning that if I don't build in some veggies I'm gonna be in trouble. I move to purees tomorrow and plan to incorporate the veggies asap.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Kaoz789
on 8/27/12 11:59 pm
 So long as I get my diet green tea in, I don't really pay attention to fiber...

No issues yet. I actually had more problems when I measured fiber grams...
I'm kinda glad I haven't needed to last few months.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 491 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 491 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 332 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 363 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 52 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?