Have you tried running yet?

shiloh78
on 9/6/12 8:00 pm - Raleigh, NC
 I love running! I have run five miles for the last two Saturdays now and will continue to do so.  I didn't start running until my six month check up.

This Chica from runs for cookies is such an inspiration!!!!  Enjoy reading. She's so addictive!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/AngelaLee/from-fat-to-finish-line

http://www.runsforcookies.com

best wishes,
Shiloh

seattledeb
on 9/6/12 11:08 pm
I wish that I could run. I certainly walk faster and can sprint during codes at work (we race).
What I've noticed about runners is that they really seem to keep their weight off. It's such a calorie burner.
Congrats to your new running career.
Deb T.

kidnamedtoad
on 9/7/12 1:41 am

When I started this whole process my knees were terrible wrecks.  I said I wouldn't run until I got to 150lbs. Well now I am at 150lbs but I am going to wait til the weather cools off a bit. I have been doing the gym thing, yoga and body pump and the occasional swimming since its been hot. I added the cookie lady on my facebook. She sounds like a hoot!

Toad         Starting weight: 249 Day of surgery wt: 217  GW: 109 CW 149                                                                    
Tim T.
on 9/7/12 4:33 am - Eastham, MA
I started running last winter on the treadmill as a warm-up for gym workouts. I said I would start doing it when I hit 200. I started with intervals, walking running, etc. When I hit the pavement it was all over. I have completed 4 road races, another one this Sunday, and a half marathon at the end of the month. Awesome!! I run between 5 to 10 miles every other day or so. I use a Garmin forerunner GPS watch to track mileage, courses, speed , pace etc.

shiloh78
on 9/7/12 12:33 pm - Raleigh, NC
 Go Tim!!  You are a machine!!

best wishes,
Shiloh

Sandy S.
on 9/7/12 5:15 am - MD
RNY on 05/07/12
My walking speed has gotten better, and I've tried intervals, but always end up having an asthma attack during the faster part. For safety my dr has referred me to a cardiologist to make sure my asthma attack isn't heart related shortness of breath. After that testing is over I'm going to try intervals again.

shiloh78
on 9/7/12 12:42 pm - Raleigh, NC
 I take short loud breaths when I'm running.  Sometimes people give me crazy looks, and my aunt who's been running for years told me I sound crazy too--high breathing--I think. But it doesn't feel high to me....feels normal and good.  It's what works for me.  I used to start breathing loud abou1:30minutes into it, now it's about 2:45minutes which is good.  When im thirty minutes nto it, the breathing is still loud, just more rythmic.  I wear my earbuds so i dont have to hear myself.  I don't know anything about your case, but if it's not asthma, and you check out medically, maybe you just need to get used to how your lungs feel when you're exerting yourself. 

best wishes,
Shiloh

Allen Y.
on 9/7/12 5:56 am - Garland, TX
 I am so lucky to be able to walk with out an obvios limp. My knees would never stand up to such abuse. it's the bike for me or not at all.

Kim S.
on 9/7/12 7:02 am - Helena, AL
I have arthritis in both knees.  Running is the only thing that keeps the pain away.  When I started (about 5 months before I hit goal), I had pain every time I ran.  I saw an orthopedic doc and he did MRI. I had no physical reason I couldn't run...only thing he found was arthritis-he said it would either kill it or cure it.

Well, it has helped so much....if I miss a few runs, the pain comes back.

Oh, and the calorie burn is like no other!!!

shiloh78
on 9/7/12 12:43 pm - Raleigh, NC
 Love this!

best wishes,
Shiloh