So how long is the process if you have most stuff done?

mzlaura
on 10/12/12 3:39 pm - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13
I've had my sleep studies done, my 2 month cpap compliance done, my 6 month nutritional therapy required by insurance done, recent labs done.. had a ct scan not too long ago, ultrasounds, recent gallbladder removal. Oct 22nd i will likely be signing up for my 6 week lifestyle change classes if there is still open spots.. well they start oct 22nd i would sign up Oct 15th which is Monday and my initial consult day. Also the dietician said they would take my weight checks up to 2 weeks ago with my current nutrition i lost 2lbs and now this past week i have lost another 8lbs that's 10lbs of my required 27lbs already. Does it seem like i will be one who moves through this rather quickly??

17 more pounds to go to lose before i meet required 8% loss and i need to do the 2 support groups and i already have my appts for my nutritionist oct 30th and nov 9th for my exercise physiologist then a weight check right after.. i also obviously have to do my meetings with the surgeon, director, physc eval.

But all of this may be done by Dec early Jan if i continue moving this quickly through lol.. what was your experience and time length for your surgeries from start to finish? I just started my info meeting was Oct 4th i believe.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

Mendie Thompson
on 10/12/12 4:29 pm - TX
RNY on 09/24/12
 There really is no way to determine how quickly it will go...there are way too many variables, and everybody's journey is different.  I was a rather lucky one...asked my doctor or a referral the end of July, went to my first required seminar the beginning of August,  finished all remaining tests and was on the chopping block Sept 24th.  And that was actually 2weeks later than originally planned, but my surgeon had surgery, and I had to wait 2 weeks for his healing time.  It really just ends up being a hurry up and wait game.  Good luck to you!

Jenn D.
on 10/12/12 4:51 pm - LA
RNY on 06/28/12
It really just depends on your insurance approval and your doctor's availability. I started my process in October 2011 and had surgery June 2012 after 6 months of nutrition visits and all my pre-op stuff. They called to schedule on June 7th to schedule... I had surgery June 28. They wanted to do it the 25th, but I needed a little more time to figure things out with work.

Good luck with everything! :)

rnb3690
on 10/12/12 8:02 pm - NH
Hi Laura, I'm Karen's husband Ron.  I was also very much prepared when we started with the CMC program.  We completed the otc requirements in nine weeks and thought that we would both have our surgery by September.  Things don't always work out like you would like them to.  Be patient!!!!  Don't rush the process,  pay close attention to the mountains of information they are providing you with.  The surgery isn't a magical overnight cure for obesity.  It's a TOOL that we need to learn how to use properly.  When we started this journey together I was alot like you I wanted to get it done as quicly as possible.  Now I am so glad that this has taken as long as it has....  Our info session was in March, and our initial consult with OTC was April 2nd, Karen's surgery was Oct. 2nd and mine isn't until Oct, 30th.  I can not tell you how impressed I am with Dr. Campbell  she is extremely well respected by the cmc staff, she is very professional and will take the time to answer any questions that you have.  I also think that having this done with robotic assistance is the way to go.  Karen had little to no pain and had to have almost no pain meds.  Dr. Campbell is well worth the wait!! Knowing now what I didn't know then I would have waited alot longer if I had to for her to do my surgery.  So please be paitient and take the energy that you are focusing on getting done quickly redirect it.... try to research as much as you can about post-op life and how to be sucessful.  You are involved in a very comprehensive program!!!  Take advantage of what they are offering and make the most of it. Life comes at you fast. Sometimes you have to take the time to slow down and take alook around.  We didn't do this overnight. we definitely won't undo it overnight.

mzlaura
on 10/13/12 6:09 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13
On October 13, 2012 at 3:02 AM Pacific Time, rnb3690 wrote:
Hi Laura, I'm Karen's husband Ron.  I was also very much prepared when we started with the CMC program.  We completed the otc requirements in nine weeks and thought that we would both have our surgery by September.  Things don't always work out like you would like them to.  Be patient!!!!  Don't rush the process,  pay close attention to the mountains of information they are providing you with.  The surgery isn't a magical overnight cure for obesity.  It's a TOOL that we need to learn how to use properly.  When we started this journey together I was alot like you I wanted to get it done as quicly as possible.  Now I am so glad that this has taken as long as it has....  Our info session was in March, and our initial consult with OTC was April 2nd, Karen's surgery was Oct. 2nd and mine isn't until Oct, 30th.  I can not tell you how impressed I am with Dr. Campbell  she is extremely well respected by the cmc staff, she is very professional and will take the time to answer any questions that you have.  I also think that having this done with robotic assistance is the way to go.  Karen had little to no pain and had to have almost no pain meds.  Dr. Campbell is well worth the wait!! Knowing now what I didn't know then I would have waited alot longer if I had to for her to do my surgery.  So please be paitient and take the energy that you are focusing on getting done quickly redirect it.... try to research as much as you can about post-op life and how to be sucessful.  You are involved in a very comprehensive program!!!  Take advantage of what they are offering and make the most of it. Life comes at you fast. Sometimes you have to take the time to slow down and take alook around.  We didn't do this overnight. we definitely won't undo it overnight.
Hey Ron,
I feel MORE ready than i ever have! I have been reading months even years prior to making this decision.. this wasn't a "all of a sudden i want surgery deal" My mother had this surgery in 2001 and it didn't go well for her but i saw first hand the risks, life changes, etc with RNY. She had open as well. Have you felt  sooo ready for something that you would be willing to do anything to make it happen for you? I am at that point. I started losing weight on my own last April and to date have lost 64lbs. But i have concerns too i have met my $4000 deductible this year and April 1st, 2013 starts my new deductible year and 20% co-insurance i am also already at my $7500 max oop to pay 100% for my surgery. So yes i do feel a little bit of a time constraint but do i feel like i am rushing myself into this without proper head space and acknowledgement of risks, and lifestyle changes with RNY absolutely not. Like i said i have been reading for years about this surgery i know just by reading and researching a lot. I am a strong willed person and when i am serious about something  i am serious and i get things done! As from my post you can see i am probably ahead of the game. Am i excited of course? Who wouldn't be after being obese for 13 years and knowing this is a tool to a potentially new and exciting life. I let myself be this way too long and now i am taking control back over my life. I don't necessarily think because i am going quickly through the process that i am clueless about what i am getting into because i am not.. i am simply excited and serious. I have been losing weight on my own and exercising since April last year and lost 64lbs to date. This is how i know really how serious i am regarding all of this. I don't want you and Karen to misunderstand my fast pace movement through the program because trust me i plan to take in and learn every new thing possible in regards to this surgery and after surgery life. I appreciate CMC's program and i know they do this for very good reason they need to make sure people are serious about this and in this for life not short term. Very good program and i am excited about my Monday appt and meeting with some of the obt staff. GL with your surgery and yes from what i hear Connie Campbell is amazing! Excited to meet her.

wendydettmer
on 10/12/12 8:38 pm - Rochester, NY
 It's great that you are so prepared!  I think a lot of it depends on the requirements by your surgeon.  I know mine required a 3 or 6 month nutritional program with them (part depended on insurance requirement, but you had to go through a minimun of 3 months with them) because during that time they taught a lot about post op expectations, etc.

but not all surgeons do that, every practice is different.  i hope you can move through fast!

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 10/12/12 8:53 pm
Every program is different.  I did not do 6 weeks of lifestyle classes.  My insurance required diet was 3 months. I started with the info meeting (which can now be done on-line for my program).

My info meeting was 9/30 and my surgery was 6/8 the following year,  so it took me 8 months.  My surgery was delayed about a month due to my work schedule. 

Winnie

garnetgal
on 10/13/12 6:46 am - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
Every process is different. Personally, I had my initial consultation on January 19, 2012, attended all my classes, tests done and pysch eval in February, was approved at the beginning of March and had surgery on 4/02/2012. So just about 2-1/2 months start to finish! I was very lucky everything just fell into place!

Amanda M.
on 10/13/12 9:44 am
RNY on 07/26/12
 I had my initial consult November 2, 2011.  I did 6 months of physician monitored dieting (there was no required weight loss) and all the other good stuff- blood tests, CT, chest x-ray, etc.  Even though I had done 6 months of monitored dieting before my consult, my insurance company wouldn't accept it because it was before my consult.  Ugh.  Anyway, once submitted, my approval only took a week and then my surgery was scheduled for about a month later.  Good luck!

Visit me at my website:  www.momburntdinner.com or at Flickr / Facebook /Twitter 

Surgery on: July 26th, 2012     Highest (Known) Weight: 365    Current Weight: 272

mzlaura
on 10/13/12 9:51 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13
On October 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM Pacific Time, Amanda M. wrote:
 I had my initial consult November 2, 2011.  I did 6 months of physician monitored dieting (there was no required weight loss) and all the other good stuff- blood tests, CT, chest x-ray, etc.  Even though I had done 6 months of monitored dieting before my consult, my insurance company wouldn't accept it because it was before my consult.  Ugh.  Anyway, once submitted, my approval only took a week and then my surgery was scheduled for about a month later.  Good luck!
Oh no that's not good. That is why i called my ins company and got my facts straight lol they said as long as it has been 6 visits within a 2 year frame it's acceptable... in the process of having the information sent to my case worker at my insurance company but my local hospital that has my paperwork said they can't fax it but the ins company says there is really no other way of it getting to them lol

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 495 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 365 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?