Drain tube

Victoria A.
on 10/22/12 9:32 am - MI
RNY on 10/29/12

So, my surgery is the 29th and I am getting very nervous!!!! I have heard alot about the drain tube. Do you come home with that, and is it very painful when removed?

mikerccie
on 10/22/12 9:35 am
RNY on 02/28/12
They removed mine after the second night. It did not hurt - it felt weird.

My wife's was removed after the first night and she said it hurt like a mofo.

Bellaluna468
on 10/22/12 9:40 am
RNY on 10/26/12
 I think every surgeon is different, as far as what they do.  Mine removes it before I go home.

You may want to ask your surgeon what his protocol is.

NowIliveforaerobicsandnotfood
on 10/22/12 9:42 am
I had a Jackson Pratt drainage tube for 2 weeks postop and then they removed it.  It was not painful when they removed it.

karenp8
on 10/22/12 9:47 am - Brighton, IL
 It depends on the surgeon. Mine does not use one on every patent and I did not have one at all. Ask your doctor.
Jessica B.
on 10/22/12 9:47 am - TX
 I didn't even know mine was in until the second day when it started leaking so they pulled it out. It didn't hurt me at all. I didn't even feel it but everyone is different 
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/22/12 9:55 am - OH
Not every surgeon uses one (even for open surgeries, let alone lap).  Some people report pain when a drain is removed, but I have had a number of them (not for my RNY, though) and never had anything more than mild discomfort.  Mostly it feels weird.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Pittsteelers
on 10/22/12 10:07 am - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
I did not have a drain at all for my RNY. I did however have to have a drain put in 2 days after my surgery due to swelling and dry heaving. But when they took that drain out I didn't feel it at all. I am 11 weeks out and still have pain where the drain was. It is very tender around that area. Doctor said it could take up to 6 months to heal completely.

Robin R.
on 10/22/12 11:15 am - PA
RNY on 10/12/12
mine was the last thing they did before i went home on day 3.  my mom had heard horror stories about it and when she had hers removed it just fell right out and she didn't feel anything. when mine came out it was attached by 2 stitches. (my mom only had one stitch) it felt kinda funny,  but not painful when she cut the stitches. no pain at all though, and i was kinda worried about it. i would suggest not looking. i didn't feel ANYTHING. but when i looked afterwards, what they pulled out was kinda long (tho my mom's tube was extremely small). it might freak you out if you see a long tube being pulled out of you. but seriously, no feeling at all in my case :)

shellykayd
on 10/22/12 11:51 am - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12
 I came home with mine.  Surgery was a week ago.  I see surgeon tomorrow, so will see if I can have it removed or not.  The nurse told me they keep it 7-10 days.  Then today I was told that he will only remove it once it gets below a certain amount of fluid coming out per day.  I'm not sure I'm under that level though.....
Shelly, mom to two special needs kids in Bozeman MT